Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there way to convert Solidworks assembly to Parasolid file without using the Solidworks program?

penko_slivov395penko_slivov395 Member Posts: 3
Recently I was working remotely in Onshape and had to import a Solidworks assembly but did not have access to the Solidworks program to export the assembly file as .x_t. The assembly and all the parts were in a Google Drive folder so I made a zip package, named it the same as the assembly file, and tried to import it into Onshape. The start was promising, Onshape recognized the zip and started the import but it failed and returned a message the file name of the zip is not matching the assembly (which it did). So a long story short, with all the difficulties with this zip package workaround, does anyone know a way or third-party software to convert Solidworks assembly to Parasolid without using the Solidworks program?

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to get it imported though. If the zip thing isn't working It could be a bug or user error. If you're sure you don't want to try that my next guess would be to download a free trial of something to convert it. Maybe Fusion 360 or Rhinocerous has something for you.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to get it imported though. If the zip thing isn't working It could be a bug or user error. If you're sure you don't want to try that my next guess would be to download a free trial of something to convert it. Maybe Fusion 360 or Rhinocerous has something for you.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,372
    Just checking - the part files are all on the same level (no subfolders) and the zip name did not include sldasm? Any special characters in the file names? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    penko_slivov395penko_slivov395 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, no subfolders, no sldasm in the zip name. Special characters might be the culprit, for sure there are spaces in the file names, could be more than that. Will check and make sure.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,372
    Spaces are fine but sometimes characters like é and ö can mess things up. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    Does the assembly contain any virtual parts or sub assemblies?  I have onshape have issues with that.