Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a mate to fix just one edge of a part to be in a specific plane?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Using Onshape
Hello

Using mates, is it possible to fix just one edge of a part to be in the same plane as a surface of a second part?

Background
I am aware of how Planar Mates work, but they seem to require that you specify two planes rather than a plane + an edge.
I am still quite new to OnShape...

Thanks

J

Comments

• Options
    Daniel_KaneDaniel_Kane Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 23
    If the edge is linear then a planar mate should do the trick. If not, you can try using the tangent mate between the edge in question and a planar face.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @john_smith077

@Evan_Reese always has great solutions !

Here’s another option

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    @john_smith077

Here are a couple examples of how it can be done using the desktop version of Onshape

In these two cases, I’m not creating a mate connector first. But rather, In both cases here, I am going right to the planar tool and creating both mate connectors from within the tool

Sometimes the interface will give you different feedback while in the process of setting up this edge to be planar to the face

So that’s why I’m showing 2 GIFs here in this post