Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rendering errors in Safari 15.4 Mac OS 12.3.1 M1 Processor

WolframWolfram Member Posts: 4 PRO
I am seeing rendering issues where the the part appears to "jump" when the mouse moves over it and selection choices are highlighted. It is like the background image being shown is an earlier one, but the orange selection choices are in the right place.

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I see the same weird issues in Safari 15.4 on MacOS 12.3.1 on an M1 Max. Chrome works fine. I'm only using Chrome to run Onshape. I would prefer to stick to Safari for everything.

It would be really nice if Onshape was testing regularly in the current version of Safari on current Macs. It seems like this is an afterthought all the time.

Part of why I'm happy to use Onshape is to be able to avoid Windows. When things don't work on Macs, it starts to feel like Onshape doesn't care. I can see from various demos and other videos from Onshape that a lot of the team is using Macs. Please prioritize Safari, and check on M1 machines!
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited May 2022
    Same here. OS on Safari is "completely unusable". I made a help request about it a couple week ago. Firefox works great. PS, Safari has always been bad with OS, even before this glitch. I don't know why all the other browsers work great except Safari.

I also use Safari for everything, except OS.
  • peter_ivy_peter_ivy_ Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Same issue here- safari with M1 chip- image reverts to previous image whenever the cursor hovers over one of the planes etc. Also prefer to keep everything on Safari and going for a fix soon. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Please create a support ticket. Apple like to do their own flavour of the web standards so we will forward it on to them to fix (you could be waiting a while).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Apparently it is fixed in Safari 15.5 (which i already have which may be why i didn't see a problem)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I just tested this again on Safari 15.5 and MacOS 12.4, on a 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro.

What I'm seeing now is that the occlusion shadows are taking a while to redraw. I spin a model and the frame rate of spinning is very good, but when I stop, there's about a 1 second lag and then the shadows are drawn. When I hover over the model, the surfaces pre-highlight, and the shadows are turned off, and then if I mouse off, or select something, then the shadows are redrawn, again, with about a 1 second lag for the model I'm using.

The behavior is distracting enough that it's still much better for me to use Chrome for Onshape and Safari for everything else. 

In previous versions of Safari/Onshape this redrawing was much more distracting and was flashing/offset in weird ways.

In any case, it seems like there needs to be a dedicated developer at Onshape who uses currently shipping MacBooks with current Safari/MacOS. Or at least the test team needs to have this configuration. We haven't had a working version of Onshape/Safari for months.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I tested this briefly (as I use Firefox for everything dayjob, and Safari for personal stuff). The recent graphics glitch seems fixed to me. However, the performance in Safari compared to Firefox is not even comparable. My top level assy, for example, will not even open in Safari. It sits there frozen for several minutes until I finally give up. In Firefox, it opens in about 30 seconds, and once opened, its very smooth to use.