Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

multipart modelling, assemblies, and drawings?

joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
hello all

one of the selling points of onshape is the ability to easily do multipart modeling, and boy can you make multipart models, however there are a few kinks and things that don't really work as one would expect.

I hear that part studios is for stuff that is fixed, and assemblies are for stuff that moves, so I have created a model with a lot of parts that are fixed with respect to each other (a workbench made out of laminated beams). And I have used the derive function to create parts that are to move with respect to the first collection of parts (vise jaw, sliding deadman, center divider etc.), I realize that I would have been able to create them all in one studio, but I have to draw a line somewhere in this case for my own sanity (more than 100 bodies in one part studio is a little excessive for my taste)

So if I create a model of something in a part studio that is glued or welded together (but consists of many bodies) does it not make sense that I would be able to add all of these parts as one in the assembly studio?
workarounds consist of:
1. inserting all the parts and grouping them, but this does not update when i add more bodies, or move the location when I move them in the part studio
1.1 so the workaround here is to remove all the parts and re-add them, then redo all the constraints (as well as the group constraint)
2. making a sub assembly and insert that into a main assembly (but then I still need to delete and re-add periodically, and re-do all the constraints)

would it not also make sense that I would be able to add all of these parts as one part in the drawing studio? so that part additions and location changes in the part studio would be reflected.

furthermore I would like to make drawings of my part, that consists of many smaller parts. I can however not insert a multipart part into a drawing, but only the individual parts, or an assembly, so the workaround here is basically the same as above however one extra job occurs when i add new parts of move parts in the part studio:
3. re attach all the handles for all the dimensions

this could be solved by
1. allowing multipart parts in drawings, saving basically all the workarounds mentioned above
2. allowing the insertion of multipart parts in assemblies as one item (basically like a sub assembly but auto updating), one could then create some kind of groups in the part studio and define the motion relations between those in the assembly environment. This would also make the assembly tree much more compact.

is there some grand workaround that solves all the above mentioned problems or should one just only create drawings when the design work is done?

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inserting all the parts and grouping them should result in updates to their locations when you subsequently move them in the Part Studio
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, @joris_kofman, it seems to me the main thrust of your post is solid, wall to wall good sense.
  • Options
    doonidooni Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I'm a newbie in Onshape, for me it would defenitely make also sense to handle a multipart-part-studio as one rigid item in an assembly, updating new parts and part locations. I agree with joris