Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 3rd, 2022

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited June 2022 in New in Onshape
We've already reached June, and it's time for another Onshape release! 
This release, we largely focused on improvements around core modeling and drawing throughput. We hope there is something in here for everyone.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

CONTINUOUS DRAG-TO-TRIM

With the Trim tool active, you may now click and drag to continuously trim back sketch entities to their nearest point of intersection.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ot45l6jygw

SUB-ASSEMBLY BOM DISPLAY OPTIONS

You may now control independently how a specific sub-assembly appears within a higher-level Bill of Materials. You may display the sub-assembly with its parts indented below (the default display), show ONLY the sub-assembly, or hide the sub-assembly and "promote" its parts to the next level of the BOM.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/23qxbfeavl

COPY WORKSPACE IMPROVEMENTS

When copying a workspace from the Documents page, the new document no longer will open by default. Instead, a bubble message is provided at the Documents page allowing you to click to open the new copy.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dr56dhzaz3

SEARCH FILTER FOR FEATURE STUDIOS

When searching from the documents page, you'll now find a filter available for Feature Studios. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4elrpacomp

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

DRAG TO COPY DRAWING VIEW

You may now copy a drawing view by holding either the ALT or Option key on your keyboard while clicking and dragging an existing drawing view.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/x3b5cvwh6f

STYLE PANEL FOR CALLOUTS AND SURFACE FINISH SYMBOLS

You may now control the font, text size, color and arrowheads for both Callouts and Surface Finish symbols from the Onshape Styles panel. Simply select one or more of these annotations that you wish to change, and select the Styles panel from the right side of the screen to make the necessary changes.

ADJUST CENTERMARKS WITH DRAG

You can now individually adjust the extension lines of any manually-created Centermarks with a click and drag.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2lry1wzvxf

CHANGE CUTLIST CONFIGURATION

You may now change which configuration of a cut list table is displayed on your drawing, by simply right-clicking and selecting "Change configuration".

IMPROVED ALIGNED SECTION VIEW GENERATION

Aligned section views no longer display a cutting line at the point of intersection.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

OPTIONS AND CAMERA SETTINGS TOOLBAR ICONS

The "Options" and "Camera settings" nodes have been moved from the scene graph to the toolbar. 

This change clarifies the UI, and focuses the Scene graph on only the model elements which you are rendering.

TRANSFORM MULTIPLE INSTANCES

You may now move more than one instance at the same time, using the Transform feature. Hold ALT (or Option) plus the SHIFT key on your keyboard while selecting any number of items, and you'll see the Transform manipulator on screen. Any translation or rotations prescribed through the manipulator will affect all selected parts. 

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

FEATURESCRIPT FUNDAMENTALS

Onshape has released a new course exploring getting started with FeatureScript. This course covers the fundamentals of understanding how to develop your own features in an Onshape Part Studio. Learn from 27 new videos and several hands-on practice exercises to start your way on creating custom features! This course is available for all Onshape users.

CERTIFIED ONSHAPE ASSOCIATE - PRACTICE EXAM

A Certified Onshape Associate Practice Exam has been released in the learning center. Explore the guide to find:
  • Testing Logistics
  • Suggested Test Set-up
  • Exam Question Breakdown
  • A complete practice exam featuring modeling documents and drawings to test your skills
  • Practice Exam Answer Guide
You can find all practice materials under the Exam Preparation tab on the Certified Onshape Associate page.

VIDEO UPDATES

There have been several additional video updates to existing courses in the Onshape Learning Center, including:

• Advanced Parts Design course

• An update to the Creating a complex loft video to include new match connections and ISO curves options.

• Understanding Curves course

• An update to the Bridging curve video to include changes made in how to define continuity with magnitude and bias or control points.

• An update to the 3D fit spline video to include additional options to create a 3D fit spline by selecting other curves and edges.

• Introduction to Surfacing course

• An update to the Thicken video to include the option to Keep tools.

• Onshape Surfacing Modeling course

• A new video and exercise on the Ruled surface feature.

• Detailed Drawings course

• An update to the hatching video to include how to customize hatchings in a drawing view.

• An update to the Bill of Materials video to include how to select the BOM template option when inserting a table onto a sheet.

• An updated video on how to create Auxiliary and Break views in drawings.

• Managed In-Context Design course

• Updates to the Creating in-context references video to include new interface elements showing which references belong to which context.

• Updates to the Update a Context video showing new indicators for when a context is out-dated.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Geat update :)
  • Travis_ZwiebelTravis_Zwiebel Member Posts: 1 PRO
    very cool
  • xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Alt-drag!! And cool to see how quick that subassembly BOM control was added. Many thanks team 🙂
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Love the sub-assembly add to the BOM display.  I also like the new trim-drag feature.

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Controlling sub assembly display in the top level BOM is power.  I have missed this ever since migrating from SW.  I use a lot of assemblies like containers a parts that are already setup and configured to use.  I have always found it alloying to see that container assembly in the bom because I usually have reason to use a full structured bom.
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    Can't wait to try the new SUB-ASSEMBLY BOM DISPLAY OPTIONS...
    Great job again Onshape team!
  • christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 65 PRO
    The FeatureScript course is much appreciated
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Plus 1 for the subassembly BOM options. That will really help things when working on the BOM in downstream processes.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    +1 

SUB-ASSEMBLY BOM DISPLAY OPTIONS

Great updates
    Thank you!
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    +1 for FS course. Lots of good stuff! 
  • Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    Excellent Update, I have been missing the drag to trim feature! Alt-drag to copy view and adjusting the centre marks in drawing improvements are great! 
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited June 2022
    Fantastic update. Thank you team!

FS course was very well made, I learned quite a bit from it as well as some things I forgot:

FeatureScript tutorial notes:

- Search icon at the top of the document will search through all featureScript tabs in current document.

- While holding control, click a function to open its definition in a new browser tab.

- Click on the part studio monitor at the top right so you don't have to keep switching back to the part studio.

- inf = infinity which can be used as a number.

- toString() will turn not easily readable maps into something that is readable.

- do not use if(lengthA == lengthB), instead use if(tolerantEquals(lengthA, lengthB)) this will ensure there are no rounding errors with floating numbers. You can also use roundToPrecision(lengthA) == roundToPrecision(lengthB)

- you can test type by using "is". For example: var testSize = cubeSize is ValueWithUnits;

- cast a value as another type by using "as". For example var cubeSize = enteredNumber as ValueWithUnits;

- If you define multiple functions with the same name (and same number of arguments) they are called "overloads" 

- Utilities section of the documentation has useful functions for sorting maps.

- A predicate, is a function that returns a true or false value.

- Sort example using lambda functions: var positionArray = [15, 5, 40, 27];     var sortedArray = sort(positionArray, function(a,b) {return a-b;});      now, the sortedArray looks like this: [5, 15, 27, 40]

- Vectors do not need units if they are used for direction.

- id is an array of id's, not simply an id string. This is why you need (id + operationName) not (id ~ operationName)

- Adding a string in addition to a counter is helpful for iterating through looped portions of code. Example: id + "sphereloop" + i + point". This way you can query everything created in the loop by "id + "sphereloop" i

- qContainsPoint() then passing an on the fly vector directly into the query is useful for querying entities that are touching that vector.

- evFace can be replaced with evSurfaceDefinition() to evaluate more than just a flat face.

- startTimer(); and printTimer(); can be useful for debugging load times.

- "Filter Selector" : An array of keywords used to find this feature in the feature list.

- "Description Image": A JPG, PNG, or SVG to display as the description image.

-  "Feature Type Description" : Text to display as a description of the feature when hover over.

- Add more than one filter to a parameter by placing it within ( ). Example: "Filter" : (EntityType.FACE && ConstructionObject.NO && SketchObject.NO && GeometryType.PLANE)

- debug entities can be added to reportFeatureWarning(). Place this below the reportFeatureWarning: addDebugEntities();

- For custom features this is a better warning method: throw regenError("Error message goes here", ["definition name here"], partToHighlight);

- qSketchRegion(sketch id) to reference a sketch face.

- To easily delete the sketch, delete qCreatedBy(sketch id, EntityType.BODY)

- Query input for direction is "Filter" : QueryFilterCompound.ALLOWS_DIRECTION  

- Overload existing functions with modified new functions for the type of entity at the start of your feature. Example: function debug(context is Context, value is LineSegment) { debug(context, value[0], value[1]); }

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    "Promote" BOM, that was a fast turn around. Thanks for listening.

• fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Drag to trim! Something that I missed no longer having, after being used to NX.. 👍
    And also the shift drag for individual adjustments of center lines! Great 😊. 
    I feel like the “search filter for feature studios” is lying the groundwork for better discovery of feature scripts, yes? 😇

And on a side note, it really feels like you’re working full speed on shipping improvements and new features 👏 while still matching quality!
  • christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Amazing job! Just another drawing space feature on my wish list. Also had no idea how much I needed the trim tool until I had it! Thank you
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2022
    Awesome improvement to the BOM. Looking forward to using this one. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 13 PRO
    Thanks for the BOM improvement!  Please consider per-instance line item management for the BOM with the ability to manage properties at the assembly level!

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/17546/manage-the-mass-properties-of-parts-within-an-assembly#latest
  • Jameson_BinanitanJameson_Binanitan Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Great improvements, especially with the drawing and BOM. I love the continuous drag-to-trim been waiting for that feature.
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Fantastic BOM improvement! And drag-copy drawing views will be a great time saver. Thank you!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/qMac3KX1TyY
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    We're going live this morning at 8:30am to discuss the latest release - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyt1WhNklDw
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    So happy to have this trim. That's the Only trim I use in SW. 

Promote parts in BOM, YES! 

Great work as always OS team 
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great updates. The drawing and BOM items keep getting better and I like that a lot.
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Finally drag to trim :relaxed:
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    What's add color to feature? Did I miss some announcement?

I've been wanting this forever, thanks.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    billy2 said:
    What's add color to feature? Did I miss some announcement?

I've been wanting this forever, thanks.

Improvements to Onshape - July 15th, 2020 — Onshape
    Thanks John, I think yesterday was the first time I used it in production. 

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Happy to see many of these, especially the Sub-Assembly BOM Options.

One thing that wasn't completely clear to me from the video or the description is that "Show components only" is essentially the "promote" option that the "other" CAD system has (this is a very good thing). It does not flatten the BOM of that subassembly and dump everything into its parent, it just promotes the parts and subassemblies up one level. 

This is great for designing subassemblies with their mounting screws or covers etc which really get assembled at the next level. 

This should close out this improvement request: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/80563