Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Does enyone else had/have this problem?

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO

It happens not always but very often... this is so annoying.... I don´t know where the problem is....
-Google Chrome-
Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Can't say I've ever seen that. 

But you can press ctrl+w to close the tab rather than clicking on the x
  • Options
    @john_mcclary Yes thanks. But the problem is if I close the last tab befor the opened tap, new tabs will open... I switched to firefox now and contacted my local support. (The x was just for demonstration ;) Thank you)
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    I have seen this before, but I'm not sure how to fix it. This is one for the Onshape team.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Axel_Kollmenter

Are you using a 3dconnexion 3d mouse (perhaps with a usb hub)?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Oh yes I forgot to metion this here in the Forum. I use a Spacemouse Enterprise and a CADMouse both from 3dconnexion.
    this is my current "setup":  The small USB Dongle is for the normal mouse

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @Axel_Kollmenter

Ok. That will be the cause of your problems then.
    I had a setup like that, so here are some observations:
    Plugging both devices directly into the computer rather than through a hub seems to help a little bit, but the problem is still there.
    The only way I've found to make it stop is to unplug either one of my 3DConnexion devices (mouse or 3D mouse). However, the implications of that are painfully obvious.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Tanja_HofmannTanja_Hofmann Member, Channel partner Posts: 12 PRO
    I use the same Spacemouse Enterprise from 3DConnexion but have never had the same behavior as you... :|
  • Options
    @Tanja_Hofmann

Do you have a CadMouse Pro Wireless as well, because having two 3DConnexion devices seems to be key
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    @MBartlett21 @Tanja_Hofmann I used the "traditionel" Spacemouse Wireless before and the CAD Mouse and never had this problem before.

I recognized that the problem only appears in google chrome. I tested Mozilla Firfox now for a bit and luckily I never got this problem in firefox.

Maybe its a Enterprise/Chrome thing...
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    @Axel_Kollmenter

Ok. I got it in Edge, but couldn't in Chrome. It only ever seems to do it when I aren't trying to look for it.

Of note could be the fact that 3DConnexion has inbuilt commands (such as refresh, next tab, print, bookmark, etc.) for Edge and (I think) Chrome.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @MBartlett21 yes I was "happy" when I got the problem on video to ask this in the forum haha.

Yes maybe it is something like you said. But like I said for me it works fine with mozilla firefox.

Thanks a lot for your opinion and thoughts!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    Tanja_HofmannTanja_Hofmann Member, Channel partner Posts: 12 PRO
    I only have the Spacemouse Enterprise and a normal mouse, not a CadMouse Pro Wireless... maybe that could be the reason like @MBartlett21 said

But it's nice if you've found a solution for yourself with Firefox.  :)
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    I definitely had issues with my 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator going through a hub. It would work sometimes but it was much more flaky that if I plug it in directly. Based on recommendations from the 3DConnexion tech support, I also made sure to use a USB-A to C dongle from Apple (my MacBook doesn't have any USB A ports).

These days it's been much more stable with Chrome. Maybe once every couple weeks it dies and I have to restart the 3DxNLServer.app or even reboot my machine.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    Just use a regular mouse and keyboard.  Haha!  I was never able to quite get into the 3dmouse thing.  I didn't like how as you started zooming in, the mouse seemed to pick at spot in the middle of the screen initially that it would it would rotate around but as you started to pan around while still zooming, that spot would readjust and the touch started to feel wacky.
  • Options
    @shawn_crocker

"Just use a regular mouse and keyboard."
    To each, their own, but no thanks. Holding down the middle mouse button while dragging to spin is a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome. For me, a 3D mouse is the difference between being able to do CAD comfortably for many hours a day and being in serious pain, wondering if I'm going to need an operation.

The spin center can get wonky sometimes, but usually if you stop spinning for a fraction of a second and get your pan/zoom back under control the algorithm will behave and find the spin center correctly. It can also be thrown off by sketches, planes or origins which are way away from the center of the part(s). If you hide these then zoom to fit and rotation will generally be under control.

You can optionally show the spin center so that you can see what it's doing. I leave it off, but in the past I had it on.

I've also always used 3D mice with the in/out (zoom) and up/down controls swapped. The defaults never made sense to me since they effectively rotate the coordinate system from the mouse hand (left/right, up/down are all in the plane of your desk).
  • Options
    @S1mon
    I also had to swap things when I was trying out the 3d mouse thing.
  • Options
    I tried out a couple of 3DConnexion space mice.

They are ok. But their drivers are terrible. Their software ends up breaking other programs (such as video games that rely on a controller or joystick). Or they just reset their settings at random.

I ended up throwing them both in the server closet since they cause more harm than good.
  • Options
    @john_mcclary

The drivers leave a lot to be desired. Things have gotten to a point where it's stable again for my setup, but I was going through some hell for a while. 

To some extent, settings randomly changing thing seems a bit like a Windows issue. There are several preferences in Solidworks which would randomly change that I would have to carefully check. I'm not having those same issues on my Mac, FWIW.
  • Options
    S1mon said:
    @john_mcclary

There are several preferences in Solidworks which would randomly change that I would have to carefully check.
    Yea, that's always a thing too... SW toolbars are constantly adding and removing themselves.
    Menu options come and go... Man, I hate SW...
  • Options
    Maybe I should try a different brand.  I had bought the little space mouse about 4 or 5 years ago.  Used it religiously for a few months but I just could not get that zippy zooming that you get with the wheel.  In a way, I feel like the 3d mouse is sort of a stepping stone to something way more tactile.  Maybe some of the oddities I experienced back in the SW days was because my mouse was plugged in all the time.  SW....what piece bloat!
  • Options
    S1mon said:
    @john_mcclary

The drivers leave a lot to be desired. Things have gotten to a point where it's stable again for my setup, but I was going through some hell for a while. 

To some extent, settings randomly changing thing seems a bit like a Windows issue. There are several preferences in Solidworks which would randomly change that I would have to carefully check. I'm not having those same issues on my Mac, FWIW.

luckily I have never had problems with 3Dconnextion products and Solidworks. Only with the browser now

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter