Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"Use (project)" tool, I unfortunately did not understand this tool

alain_mazyalain_mazy Member Posts: 27
Hi everyone, this is my first message, my name is Alain and I leaving in region of Liège in Belgium (French side).
I started 2 days ago on OnShape, currently I am following the onshape online courses, introduction to sketching.
that is going pretty well, except for one thing, the "Use (project)" tool! I didn't understand anything and I don't know what it's for, or how to test..
I am looking for an explanation other than the one written in the course, because I unfortunately did not understand this tool
Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ahh! I'm a novice that is very glad this tool exists. I can remember that before I was aware of it I was trying to ensure parts fit together (such as a box with a lid) by way of measurements in reference to an entity. The USE tool makes modeling so much easier and less subject to error than a method such as mentioned previously.

- Scotty

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    Answer ✓
    @alain_mazy

We are always trying to create content that is clear and helpful. I would be curious if you have any input on how we can improve the Use video in the Sketching course to make it more clear.

I just watched it and it seems we did not create 3D geometry with the projected sketch entities in the video, and that could be an area of improvement- please let us know how else we can make this video better!

Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ahh! I'm a novice that is very glad this tool exists. I can remember that before I was aware of it I was trying to ensure parts fit together (such as a box with a lid) by way of measurements in reference to an entity. The USE tool makes modeling so much easier and less subject to error than a method such as mentioned previously.

- Scotty

• alain_mazyalain_mazy Member Posts: 27
    Hello guys, thanks for your help,i understood, I understood the idea of projection, but I couldn't do it.. finally, I understood that it was necessary to create a new plan to be able to make a projection. And apparently you have to get out of the sketch to be able to create a plane and then choose it by creating a new sketch.
  • KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    Answer ✓
    @alain_mazy

We are always trying to create content that is clear and helpful. I would be curious if you have any input on how we can improve the Use video in the Sketching course to make it more clear.

I just watched it and it seems we did not create 3D geometry with the projected sketch entities in the video, and that could be an area of improvement- please let us know how else we can make this video better!
    Bonjour les gars, merci pour votre aide, j'ai compris, j'avais compris l'idée de projection, mais je n'y arrivais pas.. enfin, j'ai compris qu'il fallait créer un nouveau plan pour pouvoir faire une projection. Et apparemment il faut sortir du sketch pour pouvoir créer un plan puis le choisir en créant un nouveau sketch.
    @KatieHuffman

Thanks for your help, Yes, maybe to add un example with project entities for a sketch onto new sketch and from surfaces edges to sketch because also work :)
    @KatieHuffman

Thanks for your help, I understanted now! it's verry simple to use