Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Renderstudio Perspective

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
edited June 2022 in General
Hello @mfalkensteiner , Hello everyone,

last thursday you introduced the OS RenderStudio in the german user group meeting.

I have a question regarding the saved views. We have always used the same view to display products in the catalog. Now we want to recreate the exact perspective in Onshape Renderstudio. Is there any way we can get the exact perspective rendered? Can we load an image of the current view into Renderstudio, adjust the assembly to it, and then save the view?

Is this possible, or does the view have to be averaged out by eye?

I know how to save a perspective, the point is to determine the exact perspective as before.

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Comments

• Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 65
    Hi Axel,
    Currently it's not possible, the closest that can be done atm is using the default view cube positions.
    It's a requested feature and currently being worked on.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ok thanks for your fast reply.

Is there a way to adjust the default degrees how much the part rotates if I press an arrow? @NeilCooke
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 65
    edited June 2022
    The rotation of the view cube is set to 15° degrees per click by default and cannot be changed.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    mmh ok, maybe this could be an improvement for the future.

Thank you!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    @Axel_Kollmenter what you can do is create a named view in it's own Assembly and then insert your different Assemblies into that one and anchor them to the same location which will retain the same view when sent to Render Studio. The trick is obviously finding a viewpoint that can encompass all of your different Assemblies. If you want your named view to be perspective make sure the Assembly has that turned on in the named view.

In the Assembly you can't control the field of view however once in Render Studio you can adjust it to a different value if needed.
  • Options
    Hi @paul_arden This is the exact way how I am doing it right now ^^ Thank you anyways!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    I'm really liking the quality of the renders and the detail in the appearances of render studio. I am really awestruck that the user experience is just so from another world. I'm feeling like "agile" may not have worked out so well when reality server first created it because now onshape has so much untangling to do. Untangling is just an opinon. It has grown a little on me but no appearance library just makes for too much working around. I also have one assembly and I just keep dropping things in and suppressing other things. It would be great to be able to start a scene and be done 5 mins later sort of like in visualize. There are some super key workflow things that's just baffling they were not included on day one.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @shawn_crocker

I'm hoping this is why this is still a Beta and not a 1.0 release. I assume that the fact that it's so different and not more smoothly integrated is not lost on Onshape.

Honestly, if the integration is not much better, then the biggest reason to use it over third party solutions could be cost (if it's "free" - included with plans), but I also assume this might be an upcharge on top of existing Onshape plans.

The speed seems pretty good, but the UI and UX are pretty much a dump of a lot of parameters into tables. There's little attempt to make the units correspond to things which make sense as a user. I've seen other rendering systems which make much more of an attempt to use physics based approach where things like the scale of texture is based in actual model units (e.g. pixels/mm) or the brightness of a light is in lumens, etc.
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    edited June 2022
    Shawn, Simon

We are definitely looking for input on what needs to be improved and how we can make Render Studio better. 

I would like to share a bit of background. Remember that Render Studio started off as an independent, 3rd party app. It was integrated with Onshape with its own unique UI and user experience.  

Once Migenius became part of Onshape.  The goal was to make Render Studio more in line with the way Onshape does things. UI, versioning, etc... There are some pieces of this that can be done quickly and others that require a bit more development. We were faced with a decision, do we wait until it is all done? Or is the existing UI and workflow valuable to our users now?   We thought the right thing to do is to make it available, while it continues to evolve.

I think you will be happy with what the team is working on.   And yes this is one reason there is a beta label.
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    Back to the original question from @Axel_Kollmenter keep an eye our for the next release as we will add a new Position and rotation menu item to the view cube menu, from there you can type in the exact position and rotation of the camera. So while it's not as nice as being able to share cameras between Render Studios, you'll be able to just jot down six numbers (or put them on the clipboard) and re-enter them into any other Render Studio scene to reproduce an identical camera (if you change the field of view you'd obviously also need that).

Aside from matching positions between scenes we also had some users want to use type in values for example to level out the camera exactly or do other things where they know the location needed, so it will serve two purposes there and even if deeper view management and sharing is added later it will still be useful to have.
  • Options
    @paul_arden This would be soo so nice! especially for catalog renderings where you always need the same uniform perspective.

Im excited for the new update :)
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    @joe_dunne
    Yes I am grateful Onshape has done what was needed to at least allow people to use it right away.  As I was saying, I do actually love the renderings them selves and the level of control over everything.  Will be nice when the new view options come out.  I get you guys have a solid process for evaluating what exactly is going to be worked on next but sometimes, for me anyway, it is hard to comprehend the decisions.  For instance, positioning a sticker texture.  Probably the most simple thing to do anywhere including in the real world.  About the hardest thing to achieve in render studio.  Every parameter is dependent on the other so it is at least 3 to 5 mins just to put a stick in the right spot.  I'm using render studio now as my main rendering source (visualize standard will expire soon) but honestly, I can download, import, apply all appearances and decals before render studio finishes translating the same model.  Anyway, not trying to distract from the main topic of discussion here.