Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I fix this offset sketch?

johan_mouajohan_moua Member Posts: 4
I'm trying to create an offset curve, but for some reason when I join the two right curves together, it breaks the sketch. I've already tried selecting all of the curves, but it won't let me select multiple chains.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Hard to say

what happens when you make the two end points coincident to the edge here:

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    @johan_moua
    I'm not sure all the challenges you might be having with getting the offsets to behave, but if it's really painful, it may be time to cheat in 3D.

Extrude a surface which copies the edges you want to offset, then offset the surface, and use the edges that it creates (or depending on what you originally needed to do with the sketch, you might use the surface for a split or thicken etc..).

For whatever reason, the algorithm that offsets sketches, especially if there are a lot of tangent curves or splines, is not so good. The offsetting algorithm for surfaces seems much more robust.
  • Options
    johan_mouajohan_moua Member Posts: 4
    Hard to say

what happens when you make the two end points coincident to the edge here:

Thank you. This helped a lot. Trying to make the two points coincide gave the same error. To solve this, I created a new arc with the 3 point arc tool and inserted it between the two offset curves. I then set the three arcs tangent to each other, and this basically achieved what I wanted.