Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best way to add a hole pattern to a round sheet metal part?

Tristan_NeumannTristan_Neumann Member Posts: 15 PRO
I am trying to create a sheet metal cylinder with drainage holes in the sides as shown in the attached screenshot. I created the cylinder as an extrusion of an arc that almost creates a complete circle. Then, in the flat pattern made a sketch with 2 circles and patterned it to fill the flat. Then I extruded that sketch. As you can see in the screenshot, this took over 37 seconds to compute. I'm sure there is a more efficient way to create this feature, I'd be grateful for some suggestions.

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    @Tristan_Neumann
     I don't see any screenshots or a link to your project. Either would better show us what you are trying to accomplish. 
  • Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    Unfortunately, you're missing said screenshot
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    You mean something like this?

• Options

• Options
    Yes, this looks like the same approach I took. I was just wondering if anyone had a less computationally intensive way to get the same result.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    The problem is that sheet metal doesn't allow "face patterns" so it's slow to create the pattern.

Creating a vertical "slice" of your part with just one row of holes (pattern in one direction only in the sketch) and patterning the part should be significantly faster but will require more features...
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    I find adding holes to the original cylinder then create the sheet metal thicken off that face usually works much faster. It seems there is a lot more progressing going on every feature you add after sheetmetal 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    The approach that one takes may depend on if you need the holes to be true circles in the flat pattern (e.g. they're going to be punched with a round punch when flat), or if they want to be circular when viewed normal to the bent up shape (in which case they're not circles when flat). There's a third situation where the holes want to be perfectly round on the finished bent metal, and they would have to be CNCed to make them (see the "cheese grater" Mac case.).
  • Options
    For my case, sorry ome of the holes end up being slightly oblong, but we're taking thousands of an inch. So it doesn't affect the end product. But it cut the regen time down significantly 
  • Options
    For my case, sorry ome of the holes end up being slightly oblong, but we're taking thousands of an inch. So it doesn't affect the end product. But it cut the regen time down significantly 
    Did a quick try on the "slice" concept and helps a lot: I had 32 holes around the perimeter and 10 rows. That took about 35s as a sketch pattern in SM, vs just doing one row of 32 in the SM sketch and patterning the part 10 times, which took about 7s.
    The holes are all perfectly round in the flat so can be dimensioned on a drawing (which could be annoying if they are slightly out of round).
    I'm not sure why face patterns aren't allowed in sheet metal though, maybe it's a Parasolid limitation?
  • Options
    Hard to say. When i try to dimension the slots on a cylinder it says 180 degrees, rather than the width of the slot, so i assume it is slightly off.

So i do a line to point dimension and it comes out good for the drawing, so i don't care. 

The fact it isn't absolutely perfect does bother me, but that is so mild i doubt you could manufacture it closer with our laser table... 
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    If the goal is to reduce regen time you could do the math (which I did not) and go this route. Just because you can. Personally I'd rather make the program do the math and deal with a little longer calculation time. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. For my project I'd like the flat pattern to have true round holes, so I decided to go with my original approach. I just suppressed the feature until I was done with the design. It seems like patterns are just inherently slow, especially when working with sheet metal.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    You can do one row of holes on the flat. Then you can do a circular face pattern on the active sheet metal model.
  • Options
    You can do one row of holes on the flat. Then you can do a circular face pattern on the active sheet metal model.
    That's the problem, face pattern doesn't work on active sheet metal parts so it has to be a "regular" pattern, which is slow to rebuild.