Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

CNC Export

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I am still trying to find a way of exporting a file for CNC cutting. Unfortunately Onshape only exports one face at a time so if there a a recess it won't export as one file. This means extra work piecing together the individual files so I can cut them as one part.
Can anyone help with this or does anyone know if this will be dealt with in future updates.
Many thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    could you write a couple of words about what format you are trying to export in?

i guess you are exporting in dxf format, since this seems to be the industry standard. My guess would be that you can export all the lines you want if you insert the part into a drawing and then export the drawing.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you "Use/Project" the edges to a single sketch and then export that as a dxf?
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Yes 2.5D programming for G-code.
    I'll try the project method but would be great if it could be an option as part of the DXF export.
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    edited September 2016
    The project method works pretty well, thank you for the advice. The export drawing is not so good as all the lines are one block and therefore needs more post work before the G-code programming.
    Many thanks all for the help
  • paul_brittonpaul_britton Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Export DXF from the faces of the finished solid parts that will be upwards when milling/routing... has worked for me for laser cutting and milling so far...