Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to create concentric eclipses

mitch_b708mitch_b708 Member Posts: 16
My approach was to add points to each end of the ellipse and create a center line. Then create a second ellipse, add points to each end of the second ellipse, and constrain those points such that the second ellipse has the same long axis. Repeated for the short axis and then add dimension constrains, so that one ellipse is larger all around by a constant amount. It seems a bit complicated. Maybe there is a simpler method?

Here's an example:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e2cfdd35f47ab69d75e1e22/w/baba9ba860aaa65f1c71be44/e/e2d7c96ff2fb6310b373286f?renderMode=0&uiState=62d9bec978b96711ee8e88ae

Best Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Use the offset tool?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mitch_b708mitch_b708 Member Posts: 16
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic. Thank you. 

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Use the offset tool?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Making a second ellipse 2 x N wider and 2 x N taller only produces an N offset at the major and minor axis. 

Offsetting an ellipse by N doesn't create another ellipse (except if the "ellipse" is a circle).

What exactly are you trying to do?
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic. Thank you. 
    S1mon said:
    Making a second ellipse 2 x N wider and 2 x N taller only produces an N offset at the major and minor axis. 

Offsetting an ellipse by N doesn't create another ellipse (except if the "ellipse" is a circle).

What exactly are you trying to do?

Actually, I did notice the the shape made with the offset tool looked a little funny. I manually drew another ellipse from the same center point and eyeballed it to orient it with the shape made by the offset and then I could see the difference. Even though the difference is small, I sorted didn't care for the shape for some reason. It seemed "blunter" on the ends. Maybe there is something visually pleasant about a pure ellipse.

What I am making is a plate with a few controls (potentiometers and switches). The plate will lay flat on the wood with the back of the controls suspended in a routed opening. BTW, this is a plate to hold the controls for an electric guitar body.

I'm using OS as a 2D tool. I print out the shapes full size and use them to make the plate and a template to rout the opening under the plate.

Since I didn't like the look of the "almost" ellipse. I may try using a negative offset, because I only care (aesthetically speaking) about the shape of the plate because that is what people see.