Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import woes

Hi All,

I have been trying to import a model of an R1 engine from GrabCad, i can open it and spin it round etc, but when i try to add it to an assembly it only picks up some of the random parts that make up the assembly, I've tried importing it as a flattened assembly but it still wont work.

Please help
Regards
Bart 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @berkeley_spencer does the model you are trying to import has surfaces ? verify this as OS assemblies does not recognise surfaces.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    berkeley_spencerberkeley_spencer Member Posts: 13
    Hi Nav,
    Yes it does have surfaces unfortunately... i had the same with a bucket seat i was trying to use too. do you know of a fix for this?
    Maybe you can convert the surfaces, or re-draw them somehow.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
    Bart 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    berkeley_spencerberkeley_spencer Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the help everyone... so now i have worked out how to thicken the surfaces which works great, and now i have a lot of parts instead of surfaces, but now when I import into an assembly, all the parts of the seat move individually, can i flatten all of these parts into 1 single part? 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as they touch along more than a single edge, you should be able to combine the parts using a "Boolean" add operation.
    If you have problems, it may be necessary to offset adjacent faces towards each other. MCAD modellers like Onshape do not tolerate "zero thickness geometry"
    (in this context, geometry seems to mean "solid body")