Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cutting out backing

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in Community Support
I have a picture frame that looks like this:
What I need to do is get a part that represents the "backing".  It would be exactly the shape of the outside perimeter of this frame.  But it has to be generated from the actual drawing; the designer may yet tweak various parameters of the curves or angles of the corner stones.  The shapes of the corner stones and the curved sides will be cut with a CNC router from a simulated-stone material; the backing will be 3/16" steel or aluminum plate, cut by a CNC plasma cutter.  So I need a part description I can send to the plasma cutter (its software accepts a variety of drawing formats from which it generates the G-codes).  I tried the Boolean operator, but it can't work if the parts don't intersect, which they don't.  The backing will be a solid piece, and the black shapes near the corners are where that backing (which the designer will paint black) shows through.  To get it, I just put a rectangular piece on the back, but we need a piece exactly the shape of the outline that follows the outline parametrically.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    Try the “Use” command in Sketch. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI