Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Up to Surface in Extrude

Patrick_WolberPatrick_Wolber OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I don't see an "Up to Surface" command in Extrude. Was this deleted? Is there a new way to do this?

Answers

• Patrick_WolberPatrick_Wolber OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @Patrick_Wolber  - The terminology was changed to "Up to face" to more accurately reflect what the user needs to select - a face rather than a surface.  "Up to part" will accept a surface from the parts list in addition to a part.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @billy

Re our terminology discussion on the other thread 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1850/is-there-a-split-face-feature-that-would-extend-all-the-connected-faces#latest :
    @abefeldman 's reply
     seems to suggest the folk at Onshape have adopted the same convention as SW: a "Face" belongs to a solid body, whereas a "Surface" does not

@abefeldman: I wonder if "Up to body" would better convey what is currently meant by "Up to part"?
    It is not at all obvious that a surface qualifies as a part, and I'm not sure that it's desirable to create that precedent.
    Which of these features will allow me to extrude up to a datum plane?
    Oh, up to face allowed me to do this. I thought that it was not before. Thank you guys.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would appreciate simple approach even if it need few more words = up to face / plane - up to part / surface

No memorizing, no guessing
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Einstein famously said "Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" 

I personally think @3dcad makes a valid point in this connection, on this occasion.

It sometimes happens, when pursuing simplicity, that the appearance of simplicity is allowed to take precedence over actual, or overall, simplicity.

We have seen this, I think, with the feature list, which borders on being impoverished (because of the info it fails to communicate) rather than simple.