Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cantilever clamp vid turorial, stuck!

daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone, 

I'm stuck on the cantilever clamp tutorial at 1:23.
Here is the link to my document (public viewing)

I can't seem to extrude the smaller cantilever arm. You can see where the red arrow is, it won't let me form a solid shape. What am I doing wrong that it won't let me extrude it? 

THank you in advance! 

Best Answers

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a look at your model, and the problem is flagged by a tiny sliver of daylight where my added arrow is pointing. (Zoom in to see it clearly)
    If you carefully inspect the geometry of the first sketch, you will see there is a mismatch between two straight lines and two arcs.
    This can be fixed by recreating the straight lines so their endpoints are coincident with the arcs, and tangent to them.

It also falls short of best practice (in that first sketch) that it is not fully constrained: 
    For robustness, sketches should all go black before you use them as the basis for further modelling

• daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    I've had a look at your model, and the problem is flagged by a tiny sliver of daylight where my added arrow is pointing. (Zoom in to see it clearly)
    If you carefully inspect the geometry of the first sketch, you will see there is a mismatch between two straight lines and two arcs.
    This can be fixed by recreating the straight lines so their endpoints are coincident with the arcs, and tangent to them.

It also falls short of best practice (in that first sketch) that it is not fully constrained: 
    For robustness, sketches should all go black before you use them as the basis for further modelling

Thank you Andrew for your prompt and detailed response! On your advice, I took a closer look and extruded the areas excluding the areas marked with the dash, this is what I got: 

ANd zooming in on the area, I found a conflict... 

• daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Fixed it, thank you!