Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there any way to "weld" parts together in assembly?

the_eaglesthe_eagles Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hi! I'm a member of a robotics team and I tried to do a prototype on a chassis. So I inserted parts from OnShape and it worked grate. Too grate to be honest. It has a lot of parts, that you can't see or don't influence the build.

So I would like to know if there is a way to create just a mesh or something to capture only the visible details. I tried to import it as a composite part, thinking it would make only one part, but it didn't work.
Sorry if this question was answered before. I couldn't find a solution. This is my last hope :smile: .
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    antlu65antlu65 Member Posts: 55 EDU
    edited August 2022
    "I tried to import it as a composite part, thinking it would make only one part, but it didn't work."
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking - could you elaborate? Where are you trying to import this composite part?

You could, for example, create a new 'Robot' Assembly, and then import your 'Mecanum Wheel' Assembly. If the components of your mecanum wheel are mated to each other, then you should be able to manipulate (position and orient) the mecanum wheel as a composite object.

If you want to improve performance by hiding components that don't influence the build, then you can right-click on those components and select "Suppress".

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 810 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @NeilCookemade this feature. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18394/new-custom-feature-simplify.  I believe it dose exactly what your needing. It takes an assembly removes everything that isn't visible and provides a lot of flexibility to choose what actually is removed.  It an amazing piece of craftmanship
  • Options
    antlu65antlu65 Member Posts: 55 EDU
    Ah I see. That is a really cool custom feature.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697