Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - August 30th, 2022

2»

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    S1mon said:
    Interestingly this one is in the 1.152 release notes, but not mentioned here: "New Arena integration support (Enterprise only)". Oh, and now that I'm scrolling back, it was also mentioned in 1.151 "New Arena Integration (Enterprise only)"

I've seen some private demos, and now this is public. I hope we see more soon...

Hi S1mon,

Yes, the Onshape-Arena integration support for Enterprise was rolled out in a previous update.  If interested, I would recommend reaching out to your Arena solution consultant and I'm sure that more features and information on the integration will be available in the future.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Erin_ConnellyErin_Connelly Member Posts: 2
    Super excited about Driven Variables and nesting folders!
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    It's nice to have the "driven" option for the variables but am I missing something or is the functionality exactly the same as using one of the several "measure" custom features? In which case I fail to understand all the excitement and the functionality is nothing "new", and I've used these a number of times! 
    Or can you drive a variable from a sketch using the "current sketch" geometry, (that would be different...)?

Non-circular detail views will be nice although a rectangle would have been nice, and we still need the option to hide the border in the detail itself!

The PCB Studio has a lot of potential, I gave it a quick go and it seems straightforward enough. I ran into a couple issues with some parts not showing up but I'm sure these are teething issues and I am really looking forward to trying out the "keepout" features as this has always been the hardest part to get across to the electrical guys!
  • Options
    sam_ettinger011sam_ettinger011 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Will it be possible to have the measured variable be an angle, instead of just a distance, length or diameter?
  • Options
    Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Nice improvements!
  • Options
    xphilipxphilip Member Posts: 17 PRO
    Onshape is hands down the best best CAD/PDM/PLM platform on the planet - thank you one and all for yet another mind blowing release :)
    I ALMOST feel guilty for gently prodding for parametric selection sets  (Ilya :)) . . . 
  • Options
    abtin_khayatianabtin_khayatian Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Measurement driven variables are going to make designing robust assemblies so much better. Only wish I had them sooner 😁
  • Options
    nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Driven Variables!  Brilliant!  This is great! But really not before time!
  • Options
    xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    edited September 2022
    For anyone trying to quickly measure total linear length or bdft for ordering stock, I found this is a great use of Measured variables. Use a measured variable to sum all the edge lengths. Then create other variables to do any unit conversion needed:

Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    What is the best resource "today" for learning PCB Studio? I did watch one of the youtube podcast videos on it a few day ago. I'm having trouble with Altium. Some PCB's exported as IDF come in fine made by one EE a year ago, yet the PCB's from another Altium user I'm working with today don't come in at all. I want to see what settings the Altium Sparky's need to use so it can be read. We tried IDF and it didn't get anywhere. I'm not familiar with any of the EE packages.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @nick_papageorge073 we will cover PCB Studio this Thursday at the Onshape User Group meeting. It’s virtual and open to all. 

Register here: https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/professional2

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    What is the best resource "today" for learning PCB Studio? I did watch one of the youtube podcast videos on it a few day ago. I'm having trouble with Altium. Some PCB's exported as IDF come in fine made by one EE a year ago, yet the PCB's from another Altium user I'm working with today don't come in at all. I want to see what settings the Altium Sparky's need to use so it can be read. We tried IDF and it didn't get anywhere. I'm not familiar with any of the EE packages.
    @nick_papageorge073

We just added a new Onshape Learning Center course called PCB Studio Fundamentals. Check it out, link below.

https://learn.onshape.com/courses/pcb-studio-fundamentals
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    @nick_papageorge073

We just added a new Onshape Learning Center course called PCB Studio Fundamentals. Check it out, link below.

https://learn.onshape.com/courses/pcb-studio-fundamentals
    Thank you! I actually saw it randomly yesterday and started reading it then.

• Options
    russell_gilillandrussell_gililland Member Posts: 4
    Driven variables looks awesome. All awesome updates!
  • Options
    S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    The Detail View improvements are nice. But it would be nice if a rectangle view shape was an option, or the guides would appear when sketching the polygon (similar to sketching lines on a drawing) to ensure the edges are vertical/horizontal/perpendicular. Having to "eyeball" the lines is a little bit of a pain.
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    So the PCB Studio won't design traces and through holes and other components of a PCB, correct?  I mean, part placement is nice, but the actual PCB design from there would be great.  Looks like we would be reliant on a secondary piece of software anyway.
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Measurement driven variables are going to make designing robust assemblies so much better. Only wish I had them sooner 😁
    Is there a plan to bring this measurement driven variable functionality to assemblies?