Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release managment: Revision changes

Hey,

There is somehting I dont understand, hopefully I have described the issue in good enough detail that I can get some clarification.

So I have made a part studio with two parts.
an assembly and drawings of the two parts and one drawing of the assembly.

I did one release so everything got Rev A.

Then I made some changes to part2, drawing 2 and assy drawing. When releasing now I excpected a new revision on Assembly, part2, part2 drawing and assembly drawing.

I get all of the above and I also get information that part1 has not changed so it keeps the revision A, just like I want. However I also get revision change on part1 drawing even when I have not changed and I do not understand why, it really messes up the workflow I am looking for.

See attached photo: Also Assembly 1 from rev B to rev C is another similar issue I think. Because I did release first the assy without drawings, just to see what happened. Then I released the drawings and assy again, excpected the assy to not change in revision because I did not change anything, and then the drawings to go to rev A so that the Assy and Drawings were following eachother in revision, but no the Assy1 changed revision to B. So this also kinda messes up my workflow.

Answers

• ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    In a release candidate, each "In Progress" item will bump to the next revision level. It doesn't matter if you have made changes.

It is common to keep a drawing (Part 1 Drawing 1) and referenced item (Part 1) at the same revision level. To do this, release the drawing, which releases the referenced item, so they transition together.

Because you released Assembly 1 by itself, instead of releasing it with it's drawing Assembly 1 Drawing 1, the revision level is out of sync.

You can manually edit the Assembly 1 Drawing 1 revision level to "C" to match Assembly 1.

In the future, when you release Assembly 1 Drawing 1, Assembly 1 will release too. Their revision level will stay in sync.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @ian_d_gardiner can't you delete the part1 drawing1 from the release candidate with the red x? That should keep the drawing going to a "B", right?
  • tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Once I start releasing things, I have all of my drawings reference a specific "version" of the part/assembly that's being shown. This generally helps with issues like this because the drawing might be currently looking at the "workspace" and seeing that the workspace has changed even though Part1 hasn't. 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @tim_hess427 I'm guessing your build record would be the drawing & rev. From there you can reference the versions of parts & assy? Do you release parts or assys? Do you use configurations?
    Yes - you can release a drawing that references a part "version" as well as the part version at the same time. I release parts and assemblies. The added benefit of this is you can lock down a "version" of both the drawing and the part for review/proofing before creating the revision candidate. I like to be able to send links directly to versions to others for review and once everything looks good, I'll start a release from the existing version.

I do use configurations; each part configuration separately gets released with its own PN. For configured assemblies, I'll just release a standard configuration assembly+drawing and have a table that calls out which parts to use in alternate configurations. 
    It sounds like you've got it working by using both versioning & releasing. I'm going to see if I can get that to work. Thanks
    @tim_hess427 Can I ask you another question? This release candidate dialog, do you work it and make it right or do you just click it and pray.

I typically will set everything up the best I can in that dialog, then click "sumbit" rather than release. Then, I go back and preview the documents in the release candidate one last time to hopefully catch any errors before clicking "release". I'm not sure if that answers your question, or not. 

The scary part for me is making sure all the links between parts, assemblies, and drawings get updated appropriately. So, "submitting" and taking one last time to review everything helps me catch when something hasn't been updated or something.