Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Missing function Ground at orgin and Ground en root

I recently started designing things in Onshape. But i'am missing the function ground and root@orgin. This is a function I used a lot in Inventor to load models at the x.y.z coordinates as I drew them in my multibody. Can we look into adding this feature? This could be a solution for several people.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I had to Google this, so I guess it is a function only in Inventor? You can something similar by using a fasten mate and a mate connector on the part and the origin.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I still wish there were a "place at origin" option in the right click menu for parts, so I don't have to mate, then delete the mate for any parts that have been moved. I imagine it would just place them on the origin relative to where their part studio origin is.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    edited September 2022

Evan_Reese said:
    I still wish there were a "place at origin" option in the right click menu for parts, so I don't have to mate, then delete the mate for any parts that have been moved. I imagine it would just place them on the origin relative to where their part studio origin is.
    Obviously this is the behavior you get when you first insert a part from a part studio without clicking in the graphics area but if you move it after, you can still get something pretty close if you first relocate the triad on your part and right click on it to "move to origin". 
    This requires "something" to snap the triad to but presumably so does mating (unless you have a MC at the origin or your part)...

As far as I know Onshape isn't even "aware" of where the origin of a part is within the assembly (although maybe it is and that's what it uses for the "group" contraint? Not sure....)