Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Perpendicular to a sloping line?

Hello

Imagine I draw a triangle and now I need to connect some lines to each side.
The lines are to be parallel and perpendicular to every side.

It is easy to draw a perpendicular line for a vertical or horizontal line,
but what is the best way to do it for a sloping line?

Should I somehow transform the triangle to make a side of it vertical
and then draw what I need for every side?

Here is a sketch that illustrates the question
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/497294dde6d7430daccb07c4/w/35ba91b8cf2c45b49165a3a1/e/fba4be4331de47d78cf99bfd
the square should be placed on the triangle's side so the bottom side of it belongs to the triangle.

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I guess I can draw all those lines ahead of time and then connect this part to the triangle using constraints.
    This is possible but not very convenient. I'd like to make a particular line temporarily horizontal so I can easily use it as the base for the rest of the design.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of ways I can think of:

1) Draw a rectangle in empty space.
    - Click on "Show constraints" and delete the horizontal constraint on the bottom side.
    - Add an equal constraint between two adjacent sides to make the figure square.
    - Now click on the spacebar to make sure nothing is selected, click on an endpoint of the triangle then a corner of the square and choose "coincident".
    - Repeat this, from the word "- Now"

2) Draw a polygon in empty space with an inscribed circle, and set the number of sides to 4.
    - Attach to the triangle, as for  rectangle 1).
  • alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    It is clear now. Thanks a lot!