Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch Dimensions in BOM

troy_ostrandertroy_ostrander Member Posts: 21
Hello OS Community,

Is it possible to link sketch dimensions of a subassembly into a BOM?  See attached mockup image.

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Answer ✓
    Only with computed part properties, which requires Pro or Enterprise.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If you aren't on Pro and able to use computed properties, you could use FeatureScript to hijack an existing property, like "Description" or "Title_1" with a custom feature to show them. Here's an example.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e51452ff70b3ad0eec3834a/w/4dd316799a1900ab58bc1e38/e/a4bd5d3b9ab5c1ff60232754

Here are the basic steps:
    1. set the values as variables
    2. make a feature that calls those variables, and converts them to a readable format (i.e. rounding them, removing the units, adding other text like "Length" etc)
    3. insert the feature after the part is created and select it.
    I don't know your comfort level with programming, so I may be under-explaining it. Feel free to ask for more info where needed.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Answer ✓
    Only with computed part properties, which requires Pro or Enterprise.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If you aren't on Pro and able to use computed properties, you could use FeatureScript to hijack an existing property, like "Description" or "Title_1" with a custom feature to show them. Here's an example.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e51452ff70b3ad0eec3834a/w/4dd316799a1900ab58bc1e38/e/a4bd5d3b9ab5c1ff60232754

Here are the basic steps:
    1. set the values as variables
    2. make a feature that calls those variables, and converts them to a readable format (i.e. rounding them, removing the units, adding other text like "Length" etc)
    3. insert the feature after the part is created and select it.
    I don't know your comfort level with programming, so I may be under-explaining it. Feel free to ask for more info where needed.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl