Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts Not Showing

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
I have many imported parts, one of which is a motor. When I try to place the motor into an assembly it doesn't show in the list of available parts even though I can access it in the Studio Part tab.
Why would this be and what am I missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @guy_4does the model you are trying to import has surfaces ? verify this as OS assemblies does not recognise surfaces.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1881/import-woes
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    That must be it then, I guess it must be made up of surfaces. Thank you both the the heads up I'll try and turn it into solids.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few recent threads discussing this problem, and ways to address it, on the forum
  • Options
    I can't find any solutions to this problem in the forum. I ended up using another CAD program to rebuild the surfaces as solids by extracting the surfaces and extruding into solids, something I couldn't do in OS as I couldn't create planes from the surfaces. This was rather dull and time consuming to say the least. Hopefully OS will accommodate surfaces soon.
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    guy_4 said:
    I can't find any solutions to this problem in the forum. I ended up using another CAD program to rebuild the surfaces as solids by extracting the surfaces and extruding into solids, something I couldn't do in OS as I couldn't create planes from the surfaces. This was rather dull and time consuming to say the least. Hopefully OS will accommodate surfaces soon.
    Did you try the thicken command in OS?
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Yes but too many surfaces to make it viable