Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fillet HELP

andrew_banhamandrew_banham Member Posts: 14 EDU
Hi Everyone

What settings are required to make this fillet run smoothly around this corner?
I have been tinkering for over 2 hours!!!!

(studycadcam.com > 3d objects #1136)

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    You can’t run a smooth fillet around a sharp edge, it’s impossible. Looks like they filleted the edges then cut the side faces back which is a nonsense from a manufacturing standpoint. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    @andrew_banham Neil is right for this approach. But if you make your document public and share a link. We will get it smooth one way or another.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    You can’t run a smooth fillet around a sharp edge, it’s impossible. Looks like they filleted the edges then cut the side faces back which is a nonsense from a manufacturing standpoint. 
    I suppose it could be a machined casting/forging  :confused:
  • Options
    andrew_banhamandrew_banham Member Posts: 14 EDU
    Hi - Thanks for the comments and suggestions!!

I have made a copy public:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/62886837febc9350bd732264

below is the drawing that my students are working from:

• Options
    This is how they've done it. It's not a good example - please choose something else for the students to learn!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f783e918dfee7f9b573017bd/w/02b9096a4765b7809e4619ef/e/ae7df2f080c3ba92bcb418d7
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Here you go, the trick is that the fillet is not tangent to the vertical side of the part. I guess it could be molded wider with a full fillet and the faces machined back... Odd way to model this though.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d43a16eedc2228831ea03cf3/w/fb6a49850a91a3ae9e84b7b1/e/6b284623947bba811c497486
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    @eric_pesty
    Maybe this is an odd way to model this but I am sure when you produce a part like this it will look like this.
    The fillet's are made in the mold and you have some drilling and milling to finish the part.

Parts like this normally have 2 separate models, 1 is the mold product and 1 is the final product.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    @dirk_van_der_vaart
    Yes, I agree this would be something you would get with a 2 step process and it would make more sense if there were two drawings.
    That said if I was designing a part like this, I would might want to keep more of the fillet as it seems rather pointless to have it there in the first place.
    I guess my point was that it's a bit of a curveball as far as a "modelling exercise" without some extra information, especially with the horizontal break in the angled face ending up coplanar with the top face after machining, that really threw me off!