Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
How to define a spiral around a hollow cylinder, without "overhangs"
Gabriele_Cannizzaro
Member Posts: 18 ✭

0
Answers
-
Extrude/remove is the best option here. Are Loft 1 & 2 hidden? Can't see what they would be for?Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA0
-
You could try a "Split part" (by mate connector) as well using the end of the cylinder.1
-
For threads, I usually extend the helix beyond the cylinder. Then split it like @eric_pesty said. You can probably smooth out the transitions with fillet after it is split then joined to the cylinder.
RENDERCAD
rendercad.ai - Photorealistic product rendering.
▚▞▚▞▚▞▚▞▚
________________________________________________________________________0 -
Yes they're hidden, they are there to create and hollow a "funnel" shape between two hollo cylinders. So you'd recommend (simplifying brutally) a couple of oversized cubes above and below the cylinder set to remove?0
-
I've tried splitting the helix extrusion using the cylinder face then deleting, and not only it works great but to me this is a more elegant way than using solids to remove. However, the fillet only seems to work on one of the ends (see first image), the other one fails with a "failed to fillet selections" error, but the config of the two fillets is exactly the same. Is this because of some "direction" issue?


0 -
To be clear, the effect I'm trying to achieve is the thread so to speak "easing in" from the surface, ie progressively appearing out of the cylinder on each end (or at least one) in a smooth transition (eg over a couple of cm), so that when the cylinder is screwed into the spiral hose it goes in smoothly.0
-
I might try boolean adding the two solids together before adding that fillet. The way the path wraps back on itself is not helping. You could also try a smaller radius and sneak up on what works.
Simon Gatrall | Product Development, Engineering, Design, Onshape | Ex- IDEO, PCH, Unagi, Carbon | LinkedIn
0 -
I usually just revolve the ends to get the lead in/out like this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3e163e052d9f7020b7b86f43/w/213596ed586636f427e080e8/e/c4661670be755c30436faa9fSenior Director, Technical Services, EMEA0
-
I managed to achieve a result a bit closer to my goal by extending the spiral further than the cylinder and playing with the position of the initial circle that creates the thread extrusion:

I moved to an inner thread design because it suited the specific application better, but I also need an external thread one so I'll keep working on that.
@NeilCooke thanks for the link, it looks quite close to what I'm trying to achieve, I'll fork it and play with it, I don't quite understand how it works yet.
0




