Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

studycadcam 1043

Hi

I am learning onshape coming from fusion 360 and I must say onshape is the better tool for me especially when it comes to making changes to the parts history.

Please see the following ashtray from studycadcam 1043 which I designed in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/81182ecb7da0fec679a85444/w/8e03ecf42ca2b0a6f0f5b146/e/89b751dc3675dc6c5317c91f

I tried to do this with sweeps but always got collaps errors. So this is the way I designed it:
  1. 10 deg drafted extrusion to the top
  2. outer fillets
  3. sketch with inner dimensions of the ashtray
  4. 10 deg drafted extrusion downwards for the inside
  5. sketch for the cutout and remove extrusion follwed by circular pattern
  6. fillets
  7. shell
  8. inner fillets
I really do not like this approach as the part has a lot of symetries. Is there a better way to designing 1/8th or 1/4th of the part and then do mirrors or circular patterns?

Best Answers

Answers

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Is there a better way to designing 1/8th or 1/4th of the part and then do mirrors or circular patterns?
    Here is one way
    As to if this is better.
    I’ll just say there’s less features. And it done with the mirroring that you were talking about. There’s a bunch of ways this could be done.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Um smoking is bad for you, but here's another take. I think your feature tree is already pretty minimal. You're not doing anything "wrong" but there are almost always efficiencies to gain. I did write a custom feature called Multi Mirror for situations like this (with lots of help from @MBartlett21).
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • roland_koeckelroland_koeckel Member Posts: 6
    Um smoking is bad for you, but here's another take. I think your feature tree is already pretty minimal. You're not doing anything "wrong" but there are almost always efficiencies to gain. I did write a custom feature called Multi Mirror for situations like this (with lots of help from @MBartlett21).
    Don't worry. I am not going to start smoking just because I designed an ash tray  :smiley:
    Thanks for your feedback. How can I use the Multi Mirror in my own designs?
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    haha, had to say it. To get multi mirror (or any custom feature that's publicly available), you can right click the feature where I used it in my model, and select "open linked document", which takes you to the source code. There you should see a + icon at the top that says "Cusom Features" next to it. Here's a video.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl