Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How does RAM usage go up so fast?

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 808 PRO
edited December 2022 in General
Check the .gif.  When I open up a linked document of a very simple model, RAM usage go up 600-700mb with in 5 seconds.  How is this actually possible?  There is no way my connection is downloading that in that amount of time.  Were is all the data coming from?  And why would the browser need to use 600-700mb of ram to display such a simple assembly?  I'm just trying to dig through why my performance has become soo, almost unbearably, bad over the last few weeks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 198
    Hi Shawn,

One way of finding out where the browser is allocating memory is to use the Chrome debugger tools.
    1. Open the Chrome debug tools : https://balsamiq.com/support/faqs/browserconsole/#google-chrome
    2. If you select the memory tab, you can see a high level view of the memory allocation

3. If you click "Take snapshot", you will get a break down of the actual memory allocation. Most of the information is specific to Onshape implementation. If you post it here, we may be able to give you a better idea. 

As always, you can also create a support ticket if you are facing performance issues.

HTH,
    Paul