Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to create a loft [NEWB]

benn_banksbenn_banks Member Posts: 20
Hey peeps,

Im just getting into Onshape and im unable to get a loft to work.

I have a circle sketch on one plane and a sketch on another plant thats a half circle.  When i select Loft and then the 2 faces, on face disappears and nothing else happens.

Also why cant separate sketches on different planes be oriented to each other? or why cant a sketch just be moved manually along an axis w or w/o a measure of delta
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    .... im unable to get a loft to work.

I have a circle sketch on one plane and a sketch on another plant thats a half circle.  When i select Loft and then the 2 faces, on face disappears and nothing else happens.
    Are both sketches closed (meaning no gaps in the boundary)?
    A closed boundary results in the enclosed area going a shade of grey
    Also why cant separate sketches on different planes be oriented to each other? ....
    if you mean, the rotation angle of one sketch specified with respect to the other, then the answer, is that it can.
    Please be more specific about what you're trying to do.

.... or why cant a sketch just be moved manually along an axis w or w/o a measure of delta .....

again, it can, provided constraints (of which you may not be aware) do not prevent it. 
    You can find out if that's the problem by clicking on "Show constraints", and then click on the icon of any undesired ones, and press the "Delete" key

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tips-constraining-your-sketch

If you need to move a group of sketch elements a specified distance, you need to use dimensions and constraints so that those elements will maintain their shape throughout the move, but in such a way that the move is not prevented (although the direction of the move needs to be dictated by the constraints). Then you can add a driving dimension parallel to that direction to a fixed point (like the origin), and edit that dimension by the required delta.  Construction geometry can be added to help with any of these steps. 

There are lots of easier ways to do this but they are situation specific. Once again you need to tell us exactly what you're trying to do.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    For point-1 here is one method as given below. 

• Options
    Thanks andrew_troup!! ill look into the second and third points, i figured there would be a way, it just doesnt seem obvious to me. As for the lofting issue, yes they are both closed faces.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @benn_banks for point-2 of moving the sketches along the axis as a work around you can use circular pattern and convert remaining entities as construction lines
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5022071/uploads/editor/9k/pa841tr26ro1.gif

Similarly, you can use rectangular pattern if you want to move the sketch linearly.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

To give some context, i'm trying to loft from the smaller half circle to the separate circle sketch and it doesn't seem to be working as described. i'm sure i'm just missing something dumb but i don't know what that is.
    Oh and the separate circle sketch is what i was trying to move, away and up closer to the solid.

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    benn_banks,share your document as public please !

• Options
    I totally can share it, i made it public but do i send you the URL in my browser or is there another way?
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    copy and paste the URL here, and then we can click and open it! 

111.PNG 12.1K
  • Options
    i didnt mean how to add a link in the forum, i meant what link from my model do i share. Ill try this one first

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/632ee27db0bc4c9ab2afff77/w/083f63b70850488e8ab2740e/e/b9c7442dffe844c3a99a04c1
  • Options
    Im trying to make a modified version of this part

• Options
    hiding the solid made helped
  • Options
    i didnt mean how to add a link in the forum, i meant what link from my model do i share. Ill try this one first

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/632ee27db0bc4c9ab2afff77/w/083f63b70850488e8ab2740e/e/b9c7442dffe844c3a99a04c1
    When I try to open that, I get a message "Failed to load document for workspace. Cannot open a document in the trash"

Did you copy the URL from the current document address bar at the top? If so, have you thrown it out since?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

..... the separate circle sketch is what i was trying to move, away and up closer to the solid.

By "away and up closer" I'm guessing you want to shift BOTH the plane, AND the circle location on the plane?
    Planes can be edited by double clicking on the plane name in the feature list at left: change the dimension in the box "Offset distance"
    Circles can be moved across a sketch plane by editing the sketch (shortcut=double click, again) then dragging by the centre point if it's unconstrained, or editing dimensions if that's what's locating it.