Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Triming sketches leaves behind the end vertex. WTH?

LiviusLivius Member Posts: 3 PRO
edited December 2022 in Community Support
Is there a workaround, a way to auto delete the end vertex when trimming hanging sketch entities?  This seems like a bug.  Having to manually delete the end vertex after you've trimmed the segment makes for a crappy workflow.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    It's not a bug, but if you are using "power trim" by dragging you can touch the points with your mouse-drag to remove the points.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke

What was unexpected is that this behavior only exists with used or projected edges into the sketch.  It's not consistent with the behavior of sketch entities created in the sketch.  When those are trimmed, the end vertex expectedly disappears.  As a user, I expect the same behavior for the projected edges cuz visually, they all look the same.  Granted one is blue and the other black in color.  Trimming segments has the expectation that everything is to go. 

When I select and edge to use/project into the sketch, I do it because I want the edge not the edge and both end vertices.  If I wanted a vertex I would explicitly select it to be projected in.  The programmed behavior has made more work for the user cuz now one has to accurately aim at the vertex or scribble around it to delete and most times there are two.  Not to mention having to zoom out and/or pan to get to the vertices to delete.

To further complicate matters, the system doesn't show the end vertices of the projection until after the segment has been trimmed.  And if I carefully hover over the end vertex of the projected entity with the power trim tool to highlight just the vertex, thinking, what if I just delete the vertex maybe I can kill two birds with one stone, nope!  The segment only deletes and a vertex pops up. :/  I mention this as something I thought to try and not that this interaction would be desirable.

Please consider to reduce our mouse-ing time by revisiting this trimming behavior with your UX/UI team.
  • Options
    Hi @Livius - A bit of background as to why they are there. When we "use" an open edge, the end vertices are copied as points (the ones you see after trim) and made coincident to the underlying vertex. The edge is copied and made coincident to those copied points. If you want to stretch the copied edge, you can hover over the end vertex then delete the "use" constraint. What this is actually doing is deleting the point and now the edge vertex is free to move. The trim acts upon the edge you select and not any endpoints which is why they remain. Why do we do this? For robustness, repeatability and determinism. You could argue that just deleting the edge takes the points as well so why not trim? They may look unsightly and I used to feel the same way, but to be honest, I don't even bother deleting them anymore because they're not doing any harm.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Thanks @NeilCooke for the explanation.  I'm all for robustness and repeatability and not advocating to change this.  I am arguing that trimming the "used" edge should not create a useless sketch point at its ends when those segments are trimmed.  Sounds like I'm beating a dead horse so I'll give up as well.
    Best/Livius
  • Options
    The point is that the point is already there, just “hidden”. Feel free to ask for an improvement via “contact support”.