Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use sketch geometry that I can't "reach"

john_reed263john_reed263 Member Posts: 10 EDU
Hi,
I'm making a hinge that attaches a top and a bottom.  I'd like to project the hinge geometry I've created on the bottom to the top.  But both he sketch feature and the area on the top is "inside" the two parts.  I've tried to use section view with no luck.  Is this a product of a poor design strategy?  Or is there a way I can project the geometry (use) even though it is "inside" the parts.  Here is a link to the document:  Thanks
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/127e25704cb137a4e1d10cfb/w/f59c0af773ac47d45c5ceb23/e/f4e5ba3939dd577f0725669b?renderMode=6&uiState=63a4b3638c03be04f31c3511
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    You can hide the other parts temporarily in order to select the sketch faces you need to use.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying.  I know about hide.  But if I hide the part, I no longer have access to the geometry I want to USE on the other part.   Am I missing something?
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @john_reed263

By chance, is this what you are trying to end up with ??

• Options
    Whoa!  :o  Didn't know about that method.  That solves my problem in a different (better) way.  Thank you
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    That solves my problem in a different (better) way.  Thank you
    I'm glad to hear it helped