Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly movement

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited November 2015 in General
I begun to test Onshape assembly and created a model with few sliding things. I made a scissor lift with cage which moves up and down, the cage has a ladder that moves also up and down in relative to cage. Ladder needs to be up when cage goes up because of security.

1. Click'n'drag movement
When I move cage up, it leaves ladder in place until they hit bottom limit and then move along. Same thing when going down.
If I move ladder, it moves a bit of both units in not predictive way.
If this was actual product, I couldn't make a representation like this.

2. Using triad
I can't move cage by clicking on the most obvious part since movement comes from multiple mates and power source is cylinder which is mostly hidden inside the frame.
So I need to first click'n'drag so I can see the cylinder then click triad there, drag triad away from model and then I can show how product moves. If I click anything else,I need to repeat to get the triad back to cylinder.
Ladder works fine with triad, but I don't like having that complex arrow set on top of view area. 

I even filed a ticket that I'm not satisfied with the assembly motion inspection, but I'm not sure how to make it better so that it works for all of us and in every model. Of course it would be nice if click'n'drag would be so smart that it always moves just what you wan't but I'm not sure if that is possible to code.

Another idea would be to have 'actuators' which could create a set of buttons to drive for example a cylinder in/out. There could be two types, press & hold and click to move the opposite limit with certain speed. One button should be able to run multiple mates in paraller.
I'm thinking like a control panel to run assembly. And if these buttons could be linked back to model, we could create real world machines that have buttons and switches to move cylinders and motors. 

Anyway, I would like to see motion manipulation so easy (or pre-configured) that I can share complex model to customer and any non-cad person can just grab the most obvious part and see it function or hit buttons with clear info what is going to happen.

What do you think? What would be the best way to inspect motion in current assembly workspace?

ps. Mate limits are awesome!
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Motor/Actuator mates with a programmed keyboard controller for fwd/rev and speed this is great, I could actually build and control my battle bot in OnShape. I Luv it!! Great Idea @3dcad