Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to measure from point to cylinder axis?

pete_7pete_7 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Community Support
As the title suggests, I am trying to measure from a point in an assembly to a cylinder axis, but I can't seem to do it. Even creating a drawing and attempting to add a dimension doesn't produce the correct length, since it is not projected onto the model view plane. Is there a way to do this like one would in SolidWorks?

Answers

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @pete_7 Without seeing what you are doing... could you create a sketch, or add some entities to an existing sketch and then select those entities to measure to?  That would work if you are in a part studio.  In an assembly studio, I don't think you can currently add reference info like that.  Maybe you can create a piece of geometry in your parts that would serve as a reference measurement point.  You can loft to a point to give you a point.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the cylinder created natively in Solidworks, or part of an imported body?
    The following suggestions, in cases where extra entities are created, would need to be applied in the Part Studio

If the former, and it's a revolve, you may be able to select the revolve axis by showing a sketch or selecting an edge.
    If the former, and it's a sweep, you will be able to select the sweep path
    If the former, and it's an extrude, you will have to construct a sketch on a normal plane through the centre of the circle sketch and draw the axis

If the latter, you will have to create a plane at one of the end faces of the cylinder (if it has end faces) and extract the silhouette edge, then proceed as for an extrude, above.
  • Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I was working on this last night as well.  In Solidworks, we can turn axis and temporary axis on and off.  Is there a way to do this in OnShape?  I couldn't find it and used a work around instead.  Being able to dimension to an axis is pretty important to me for the items I model.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @pete_7 , You can measure distance by edge point and cylinder edge in term of DX, DY, DZ  center value (DX=Red, DY=Green, DZ=Blue show color coding for measurement lines) as shown in below video

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    juan_aviles 
    Neither axis creation 
    nor temporary axis is available at present.
    I have raised an improvement request for the former, which you can upvote
    (do not use browser "back" button having voted, it will cancel your vote!)