Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

is there a way to link movements of two different parts?

kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 47

Back again with another question.
So here is a tool for a robotic arm. It is a famous one by now and has been in the opensource world for over 6 years now.
In this pincher there are two grippers, each linked to a gear arm and a strut by revolute mates. The gears on the gear arms are not proper gears I think, just modeled to function as such.
So, when I move one pincher, it follows the correct path and all connecting parts move with it properly.
Question is, how to link this pincher movement to the one on the other side, so they move with each other correctly?
I tried using the gear mate, but nothing on the gear arms actually is recognised as a mate. I conclude that this must be because these parts are not actually defined as gears perhaps.

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Just add a gear mate between Revolutes 1 & 2
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 47
    NeilCooke said:

Thank you @NeilCooke , I was doing it wrong. I thought I had to define some new mate on the gear itself. Turns out that the existing mates need to be linked.
    Many thanks for your time and patience.