Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to realign origin of In-Context Part Studio with the parent assembly's origin?

russell_mcintoshrussell_mcintosh Member Posts: 1 EDU
edited January 2023 in Using Onshape
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if you could help me out with this.
  1. Created an In-Context part studio using the origin of the main assembly.
  2. Within the part studio I mirrored a newly created part around one of the origin planes (ie. Y/Z plane)
  3. I then had to move the assembly origin 0.5" to the right (X direction)
  4. Successfully updated the assembly context within the part studio.
  5. Previously created part studio origin is still in the original location.
Issue: Mirrored part is misaligned because the origin of the part studio no longer matches the origin of the assembly.

Solution????

I understand I can make a new plane and mirror the part around that but I have quite a few parts mirrored around the origin planes.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Not sure I follow? How can you move the assembly origin? If the Part Studio origin is the same as the assembly origin then nothing moves. 

If you create a mate connector in the Part Studio at the origin and assemble it on the assembly origin then it will always be in the right place. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    marcel_robitaille742marcel_robitaille742 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    I am also experiencing this. The assembly origin doesn't move, but all the parts in the assembly move together relative to the assembly origin. After updating the context, the outline of the parts in context in the part studio do not move relative to the part studio's origin.