Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Threads - the sweep way

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
There's something about creating threads with a profile and a sweep which is escaping me.  Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't.  In this part studio I have one which works and one which doesn't.

The one which does work (cleverly called sweep 1)  started to work after I'd messed around with a number of the features, but I'm not sure what I did that made it work.    Sweep 2 doesn't work and as far as I can see I am doing the same things..

In passing error messages would benefit from a bit more detail.  the one here amounts to, 'it didn't work'.

Also, in passing, I could have used the new thread feature on this, but it seems to be limited to the pitches you can specify, certainly at a diameter around 40mm.

Many thanks in advance!

Iain

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    My first thought is that unless you need something really weird that the Threadlabs feature can't handle, I would use that rather than manually creating the sweeps...

I had a look and I'm not quite sure why it fails, even when set to "new" the sweep fails. I was able to get it to work by placing the profile sketch on the front plane instead (so that the profile is at the start of the helix). It shouldn't be necessary in Onshape but I guess it can help sometimes!

Might be worth reporting as it could be a bug...