Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

LIDAR scans

bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
I bought the new iPhone and would like to use it for 3d scans. I know Onshape has its own direct capability and I am interested to hear how others are using it. I would also like to use Polycam because I can move from room to room and interrupt the scan. Also, I would like it in a point cloud format as this is the raw data and most accurate. I exported a dxf file from Polycam, but it does not want to convert in Onshape. I am looking for any advice and approaches used by others.

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I use obj to get scans into OS. I don't remember what iphone uses for lidar scans, but there's many web conversion sites that'll change the format.
  • Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    edited February 2023
    Yes Polycam can do OBJ, but that is already meshed. I would really like the point cloud. I don't know your experience, but I do not have a lot of success scanning directly with the Onshape capability - I do not get good detail.