Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Basic single user version / history workflow

Eric_92Eric_92 OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
I'm working on a part where I want to capture the current state of it, then go back and make some significant changes, Then eventually decide which to use. Simple enough.

I'm looking for the best practice in Onshape to do this. I'm slightly confused at the version functionality as it pertains to my case...
Options -
1 - Duplicate part studio- then run wild with changes.
2 - Just start making changes and use the history list to be able to go back in time if I want the original. (seems less ideal)
3 - Some version workflow...

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @Eric_92 Have you investigated the use of branching and merging in Onshape yet?  This could satisfy what you want to do.

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-branching-designs

• Options
    jlieberjlieber Onshape Employees Posts: 4
    I would like to second the idea of versions and branching.
    Johnathen Lieber
    Team Member
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Branching & merging may be the best solution.  Branching a version will allow you to investigate alternatives along a parallel branch.  As a matter of fact, you can branch several times from the same version (node) to create multiple "alternatives".

Take a look at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/559b9a459ca348529d9f4761/v/a27e42ae03624f598ebde299/e/afe404dadfb243718c9e2a15 
    for some examples of branching.

Merging is a bit more advanced.  There is some documentation here:  https://cad.onshape.com/help/#merge.htm?Highlight=merge

There are a few KEY issues to keep in mind when using Merge:
    1. Merge applies to ALL the tabs in the workspace.  This can be dicey so best practice is to have a single part studio tab (even better to have a single part) in the Document when using Merge.
    2. The selected version will be merged INTO the active Workspace
    3. We don't yet have a way to represent the Merge in the version graph so it may appear that "nothing happened".  
    4. Merge cannot be undone in the classic sense.  Rather go the document history and Restore the point just prior to the Merge.
    I suggest creating a dummy document with simple part geometry to investigate how Merge works.

After you have successfully evaluated all the alternatives and settled on the part design you want, you can always copy that Part Studio (RMB-> Copy on the tab; "+" Past Tab in the new document). 

Hope this helps.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited November 2015
    @Eric_92
    I do this a lot with my furniture designs.

My suggestion for you is:
    a) If you have only one part studio, just duplicate and make changes. It is faster to jump between those than creating branches. 
    b) If you have some basic frame and wan't to try different things on top, create one ps of that frame the derive it on another and duplicate that for versions. This way you have also easy control for frame (updates to all versions).
    c) If you have multiple parts & assembly then use version and create another branch - you can think of branch that it is a copy of your whole document. It covers all the tabs and you can even add/delete tabs from one branch and it has no affect on another.

Very good tip from @stevehess :  I suggest creating a dummy document with simple part geometry to investigate how Merge everything works.

//rami