Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How create a Geodesic line on the surface of a cylinder?

AZΘRÆNAZΘRÆN Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
ⵊ am making a decorative bead and am using a Onshape document to give a clear picture of what the disign should be. It will be a jade bead with a silver inlay. 

A GEODESIC is a term that ⵊ know from physics. It is the shortest path between 2 points on a curved surface. Think of the line that an airplanes path taces on the surface of the earth as it flies long distance. 

I'm sure that im missing a super easy way to do this, but this is new ground for me. 

Thanks for the help in advance ::D

---

This is the pattern that will be engraved and inlayed

And it looks great from the front 

But when viewed off axis the fact that is a (Euclidean) projection becomes clear 

The warping of the lines is what ⵊ would like to normalize and "average" out. 

Best Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I don't know of a super simple universal way to solve this, but in the case of a cylinder, I think you could just use the Wrap feature. The unwrapped curve would be a diagonal line for most of what you're sketching out. I'm not convinced that these would be true geodesic curves (they're actually helixes), but it might actually be what you want.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/wrap.htm

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    I'd also reach for the Wrap tool for this first.

I have another thought that isn't exactly what you're asking for, but is relevant enough that it could be helpful. Freeform Spline supports faces as references, so you can create a curve that's pretty close to following a surface, which you can follow up with a Projected Curve in "Curve-to-face" mode to pull the Freeform Spline to the face. The result is a pretty interactive way to draw a curve directly on any face. Here's an example part studio. In the gif below I check "Final" to edit the spline while still seeing the resulting projected curve. I think if you use this method with a 2-point spline (i.e. line) it should end up pretty close to a geodesic.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I don't know of a super simple universal way to solve this, but in the case of a cylinder, I think you could just use the Wrap feature. The unwrapped curve would be a diagonal line for most of what you're sketching out. I'm not convinced that these would be true geodesic curves (they're actually helixes), but it might actually be what you want.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/wrap.htm

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    I'd also reach for the Wrap tool for this first.

I have another thought that isn't exactly what you're asking for, but is relevant enough that it could be helpful. Freeform Spline supports faces as references, so you can create a curve that's pretty close to following a surface, which you can follow up with a Projected Curve in "Curve-to-face" mode to pull the Freeform Spline to the face. The result is a pretty interactive way to draw a curve directly on any face. Here's an example part studio. In the gif below I check "Final" to edit the spline while still seeing the resulting projected curve. I think if you use this method with a 2-point spline (i.e. line) it should end up pretty close to a geodesic.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl