Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Composite children in the BOM

JoshBarnettJoshBarnett Member Posts: 15 PRO
Hi everyone

I am about to release an assembly with a bunch of composite parts (that represent welded child parts)... I now realize that there is no dependency relationship between composite parts and their child parts (not unsurpising in hindsight!).... which means these child parts do not show up on the assembly BOM

Any work arounds? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Josh

Machine Designer | AXIS7

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    You could control the welded state with a configuration by simply suppressing the composite feature at the end of the feature list. That way you can configure the part studio weldment in an assembly and toggle it's representation to address your desires. This would work for a drawing also.

Seems like a composite is the correct feature since I'd want to treat a weldment as one part after welding. 

I know it'd be nice to create a weldment drawing accessing the same part studio in which case you'd toggle the welded button off which suppresses the composite feature.

You'd have to remember to insert new features before the composite feature and then maintain the composite feature by adding/removing dependencies. Also remember to "roll to end" before leaving weldment part studio.

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 812 PRO
    I don't like the idea of a welded assembly being treated like a part. I also don't like how onshape defaulted to this view of a welded assembly with no easy way to work things differently. I customized the cut list feature to apply material and properties directly to the parts. I don't use the composite part. I put the parts into an assembly and then everything work well for me.