Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

surface extrude direction

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
extrude in plane of sketch should be possible:

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    That would essentially create a line, not a surface. You need there to be some angle between the sketch line and the direction it's extruding. It's not picking the sketch normal, it's picking the vector of the sketch line.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2023
    Forget about the sketch, I'm thinking it's a curve in space, take this curve in this direction. We don't have 3D sketches so why not? It's nice to have a profile & direction in one sketch. 

I watched the video in the help looking for limitations on direction and there's no talk about a direction limitation as it approaches the sketch plane.

I finally got what I wanted with a loft, but I feel less comfortable with this:

I guess I'm lazy and always looking for the shortest path to get what I want. 

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Ended up with a simple rectangle and surface offset.

Sometimes it's best to just keep it simple.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Implicit mates are definitely convenient. They can save you a step at times

But for some reason, I just haven’t figured out how to get one to do what I could do with placing a MultiMateConnector FS before the extrusion

The implicit mate will only allow me to adjust the X axis

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cce52d04c78c7ddfc8c63b62/w/3cabd835f1b33cd8f8180fd8/e/2551f013050e296fc15f29c7

On the other hand, MultiMateConnector will allow me to set up a compound extrusion where I could adjust BOTH the X axis and Y axis to whatever I want

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Mate Connectors as sketch planes are so close to being amazing, but they are really frustrating... The fact that you can't do the equivalent of Plane's "curve point" method is so annoying. And as you point out, a few more inputs like MMC would be huge.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @S1mon said:
    a few more inputs like MMC would be huge.
    YUP !!!

edited March 2023
    I like  MultiMateConnector looks really powerful. I wish it kept the string of transformations and applied a curve between each MC. I'm looking for defining a robot's arm and this could be the skeleton in one feature. I'll have to look at the code. It'd be nice if it could build the assembly mates when importing into an assembly.

edited March 2023
    They're not going to allow it "no way", you can't even trick it:

There's something about keeping it simple. Even if it did it, a simple sketch would allow any one the ability to maintain it. It's probably no a good idea to come up with some crazy stuff.