Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Missing volume property in drawing

Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 55 PRO
Hi,

I prepared a title block where I want to display the wheight and volume of the plastic part (that's kind of a standard for many manufacturers).
While everything works fine with the weight. The field is not populated with the volume value. I wonder how the weight is calculated when the system doesn't know the volume. 
Measuring the volume shows value. But no value on drawing possible.

can anyone help please?
thank you

regards,
Urs

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    Volume is not a standard property so I guess you added it? Volume needs to be calculated using a "computed part property" - see video half way down this page: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/17425/improvements-to-onshape-january-12th-2022/p1 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hello Neil, 
    Thanks for your feedback. You got the point. "volume" is not a standard property while "mass" is a standard property. However the formula mass = volume*density requires the volume. So onshape knows the volume already to calculate the mass. The only thing I want is to access the volume information onshape already has somewhere. This should be standard and not feature script. 
    br
    Urs
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    I agree this should be built in. I went through the steps to add this to our Enterprise. It’s not too hard, but it’s a pain. 

BOMs that have this property shown are slower. When you click on mass properties for a part, it doesn’t seem to take long, but when you need volume for a whole assembly the time adds up. 

It seems like it would be better if volumes could be calculated in the background and cached.
  • Options
    jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    Hello Neil, 
    Thanks for your feedback. You got the point. "volume" is not a standard property while "mass" is a standard property. However the formula mass = volume*density requires the volume. So onshape knows the volume already to calculate the mass. The only thing I want is to access the volume information onshape already has somewhere. This should be standard and not feature script. 
    br
    Urs
    Volume should be the driving property -  Why did Onshape choose Mass rather than volume ??    Volume is set explicitly by the model, while mass is dependent on the density of a material and we all know density is subject to a high margin of error.  1 company's density of a particular material is often not the same as another company's.
  • Options
    ry_gbry_gb Member, csevp Posts: 5 PRO
    Does anyone have an improvement request for this that we can upvote? Seems like a super basic thing.
  • Options