Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Measuring intersections

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
How do I measure this intersection?

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'd mouse over the face I want to select and use the ~ key to invoke "select other". Press ~ until it selects the face you want. Do that twice till you select them both and measure as usual.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    I would click on the inside face of the green part, hide it and then click on the face of the 'beam' part. The Tape measure should show the distance
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'd mouse over the face I want to select and use the ~ key to invoke "select other". Press ~ until it selects the face you want. Do that twice till you select them both and measure as usual.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    @GWS50 Thanks for your comment but unfortunatly this doesnt work for me... everytime I hide the component, it will deselect my face.

@Evan_Reese Yeah thats the usual way I solve this problem. But that never worked for me when I put a cut through the part. But I just found out that you can't right click on the cut area. You have to click on a normal surface.
    But if you use the shortcut (for me it's the key with the apostrophe) it also works over the cut area. Never used it before, but I have to remember this key. Thank you!

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,500 PRO
    @Axel_Kollmenter
    When using the "hide part" method, the way I do it is to hide the part that's in the way first, select the part I am trying to get to then show the hidden part to select the second face.
    But yeah, the "select other" key is really helpful... I use it a lot in part studios as well if you need to select a sketch region that "inside" a solid for example.
  • Options
    I also use "Select other" very often, but I haven't noticed that it doesn't work on cut surfaces.

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One improvement I would like to see with the interference detection would be the ability, if you so desire, to turn the interference into a surface(or curve). Something similar to what Solid Edge does. You can set the interference dialog to create a surface of the interference geometry. You can then use this surface to measure or include the geometry to create cuts to remove the interference area on the parts, etc.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign