Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Isometric Orientation in a DWG

Grompy989Grompy989 Member Posts: 14
When inserting a Isometric view of a part, how does one go about rotating it to the position needed ?   Every time I add a Isometric view, the part is backwards and the Rotate by degree feature does not position it they way I need it.

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 578 ✭✭✭
    You can make a named view in any orientation you need in part studios and assemblies, then use the named view in the drawing.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 666 PRO
    edited April 2023
    For a true isometric other than the default one, pick a face on the view cube, then, press the left (or right) keyboard arrow key 3 times. Then, press up (or down) arrow key 7 times, while holding down the shift key. (Holding the shift key rotates it half  *edit 1/3rd the amount as not holding it). Save that as a named view something like "iso-back". Show that on the 2D. I got this directly from OS support when I had the same question a few months back.
  • Options
    nick_papageorgenick_papageorge Member Posts: 7
    For a true isometric other than the default one, pick a face on the view cube, then, press the left (or right) keyboard arrow key 3 times. Then, press up (or down) arrow key 7 times, while holding down the shift key. (Holding the shift key rotates it half the amount as not holding it). Save that as a named view something like "iso-back". Show that on the 2D. I got this directly from OS support when I had the same question a few months back.
  • Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 205 EDU
  • Options
    Grompy989Grompy989 Member Posts: 14
    thanks!!!
  • Options
    John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    Nice tip about shift+arrow.
    On my system (windows/chrome) shift+arrow results in 1/3 rotation compared to pressing arrow key alone.
    7 times shift+arrow can be reduced to 2 times arrow + 1 times shift+arrow
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Arrow = 15 degrees, Shift+Arrow = 5 degrees
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    edited April 2023
    Note that this will only get an approximation of a true isometric view. It’s close, but if it needs to be exact, you’ll need to construct some sort of helper part to use with the normal to command, since there’s no way in Onshape to type in a view angle.

To get a true iso view, it’s 45 degrees rotating around the vertical, and then ~35.2644 degrees up or down around the horizontal.