Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3D printing.

doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
Hello, I'm new to onshape, and I know that many things have already been discussed before, but I have no idea how to find those conversations.

I'm interested in 3D printing my projects. Is there one of the self-paced courses that covers this? It wan't in the CAD basics/fundamentals course.
Just point me int he right direction please.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    Onshape is a design program and so doesn't deal with slicing your model for printing.
    Once your design is ready to print you would need to export it as an STL file from Onshape and then import the STL file into your slicer (Cura, Simplify3D, Prusa Slicer etc). Most printers come with their own slicer software but there are others out there.
    Your slicer software will most likely have tutorials that come with it or otherwise if you search youtube you will find plenty of help with your particular machine. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    There's not that many resources supported by OnShape for 3D printing yet check out my question on that topic here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/19026/cam-coming-to-onshape#latest
    however there is plenty of resources like this in the forum to help you out:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14113/new-featurescript-captive-nut#latest

• Options
    doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
    Thanks everyone, I don't have a machine. I was thinking of the library machines, and wanted to know if onshape would export a suitable format, which you've said is "STL". This was so I would not have to learn another 3D program, just for that.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Hello Doug. I'd say the greater majority of the projects I work on using Onshape in some way involve 3D printing; if not the end product it's to make a tool (fixture, jig, template) to be used in the project. Onshape has become a valuable tool for me.
    The workflow for 3D printing a part that you've modeled in Onshape is to right click on the part itself or in the list of parts to bring up a menu. Select Export. That brings up a window to select the file format, part name, etc. Once you've done that Onshape is out of the picture; from there it's your slicer's and printer's job.

P.S. If your printing needs require close tolerances, I recommend a resin printer vs. a filament printer. With a filament printer it is my experience that dimensions will have to be adjusted during modeling to attain the finished prints required dimensions.

- Scotty
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I don't have a machine. I was thinking of the library machines, and wanted to know if onshape would export a suitable format, which you've said is "STL". This was so I would not have to learn another 3D program, just for that.
    I use STL files exported from Onshape frequently with my Prusa Mk3s and use PrusaSlicer for the slicing.  It works just fine and I've never had a problem printing one of those files that wasn't caused by a design issue on my part.

Which printer and slicer do you have access to at the lbrary you use?  Chances are that they will also work just fine.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    edited April 2023
    To get from Onshape (or any CAD program) to a printer, is just the click of a button, as mentioned above. Where the time and effort comes is in learning how to model in CAD, to make the design in your head. Have you seen the Learning Center? Check out the courses there. This one linked is a great one to start with. All the courses are free.
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/introduction-to-part-design
  • Options
    leonid_raizleonid_raiz Member Posts: 9
    I recommend using the 3MF format instead of STL. It is a newer format made specifically for 3d printing that avoids potential STL problems and is supported by all slicers. You don't need to learn it. Just press export from Onshape and then import into a slicer.