Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Server Capacity

cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
Is anybody else having problems Loading Data for the Onshape servers. I have been waiting over 5 min for a Part Studio to open. I also have problems when in Drawing with the lag before things appear on the drawing. The problem is not my download speed (76ms) I have also tested the speed on other websites which works fine. Or is this a standard speed for all Free users.

Graham

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi Graham. First, the speed that free users get is exactly the same as what pro users get. At this point we do not differentiate between the two in any way. 

Second, our servers are not overloaded. We monitor our servers 24x7 and my team responds to any performance problems we detect. We can add capacity around the globe in minutes. 

Having said that, you should not be seeing those performance problems, so something is not right. Please open a support case (via "Feedback" in Onshape) and we will work through the issue with you. 
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Cadmando - while the spinner is spinning, please submit a 'feedback' ticket and share the document with support (they cannot look at it without your express permission). In conjunction with your document they will look at the server logs at that time stamp and try to figure out where the problem is. There is no performance difference between free and professional users. If there is a server capacity issue, we just spin up more servers. If you are in an under-served part of the world, we open up another data center (as we recently did in Sydney Australia). 
    End-user quality of service is very important to us. Once you submit the ticket and document, our ops guys will look into it. 
    Thank you for your support of Onshape. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    I opened the Project this morning without any problem, if I find it happening again I will submit a Feedback as requested, many thanks for the quick response. As requested by Cody in his recent Webinars I have started to use Onshape as I would in a Work environment, this is were I have started to encounter these issues, ie. with a project containing Drawings.

Graham
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @cadmando Do you happen to have adblock in your browser? Some people have suffered of performance issues because of this extension..
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad
    Thanks for your comment, yes I do have adblock as an extension on my browser. I will disable and give it a try, I will post with the result.

Thanks
    Graham
  • Options
    I am now trying running Onshape in Microsoft Edge under Windows 10,, but now the Drawing will not load at all, the screenshot Onshape is the only Tab Open, I am still having Loading Problems. The attached Screenshot has been like this for over 30 min

Is anyone else having similar problems with Drawings, I am thinking now I have a problem in the way I have built the Model which may be the root cause of the problem.

I have submitted a feedback to Onshape so will keep you all informed on the outcome.

Graham
  • Options
    I think edge browser is not supported (at least not yet).
    You should get best results with firefox or chrome, I've had good experience in dedicating one browser (chrome) to Onshape and use another (firefox) for other browsing. So Onshape window is the only instance I have open when modeling.
    //rami
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response, yes you are correct  edge browser is not supported. I have done exactly as you advised using Chrome for Onshape only, see attached capture showing what happens in Chrome. I have shared the document with Onshape support as requested. I can share this document with you if you like would  to see what happens on your setup, just message me with your email address.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @cadmando
    If my experience of similar problems is any guide, there may be other Chro
    me extensions causing you problems.
    Try disabling them all, and see if that resolves it. Then you can at least go about finding out which ones are rogue.
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I currently use Firefox without any problems. I can understand how frustrating it must be to find that Onshape a web based design system keeps getting compatability issues with main browsers. This is a number one issue for Onshape, it is already not compatable with IE and if chrome is also causing much difficulty then they will lose potential Onshape users. At the very least there needs to be a prominent help for customers on setting up onshape with the various main browsers IMO.
  • Options
    Firefox was my main browser, until I started having problems, I have now used I.E. and Chrome. All the problems on all Browsers are to do with the Drawings, I havn't had too many issues till I started to use Drawings.
    Anyone who would like to test my Document for errors, message me with your email address and I will add you to the Share, sure would like to prove what is the problem, if it is my Document I may be able to find an answer to the problem.
  • Options
    @cadmando
    Only time I have seen that 'Page unresponsive' -message was when I played with 8000 pieces part studio a while ago:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/10858/#Comment_10858
    //rami
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Posting to the forums is a great start - the people here are really helpful and can often help you before Onshape support can. Yes, today Onshape supports Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Onshape would like to support Edge and has multiple bugs open with Microsoft. At this point, the most productive action would be to share your document with support (we cannot look at your data until you do) and open a ticket. Thank you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas
    cadmando did say:
    ................... I have shared the document with Onshape support as requested....................

• Options
    Thank you Andrew
  • Options
    Ok, ok, i missed that - well the good news then is that we are looking at it :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    //rami
  • Options
    Below are two emails from Onshape with an explanation to the problem;

Email 1

Hi again Graham,

Thanks for sharing your document.  I can reproduce the slowness.  And I've seen WebGL crash a few times.  Honestly, it's pretty nasty.

I do not think it's your model.  I believe your model is fine.

We're debugging the problem now and hopefully will have some sort of answer for you shortly.

Thanks -Bob

Email 2

Hi Graham again.

I was able to reproduce your problem with a large part I created (a linear pattern of cubes with cylinders between them) and then showing hidden lines in my ISO and front views, as you have done.  The combination of the two things hits a scalability problem in drawings as it is now.

As a workaround for now, could you hide hidden lines in your views when you're working in the drawing?  If you hide hidden lines in your views while you're dimensioning and working in the drawing, I think you'll find the speed is much improved.  Then if you need to show hidden lines to print or release the drawing, you can do that at the end.

I realize this is not great.  We need to improve the performance and scalability of drawings to handle such cases.

Thanks -Bob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we will get a solution to this problem in the near future.

Graham