Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Bookmark Menu

Vivek_PatelVivek_Patel Member Posts: 2 EDU

I frequently find myself bookmarking Onshape documents that are public but not copyable - that I want to come back to for reference. If I could have a system inside of Onshape where I could “save” /  “bookmark” these documents inside of Onshape.

Comments

• Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    Can using "Labels" help you?
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    edited April 2023
    Depending on what you want to go back to, you could create your own "bookmark" assembly with a part or assembly from the public documents, and then you can "open linked document" to go to the original.

If the names of the parts or assemblies or their shapes are not enough to trigger your memory, you could put them in folders that you name with your own text. You could also add your comments to the inserted parts/assemblies.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I think labels are the solution here. They are a per-user thing, so you can add them to any doc you want, even other people's public ones. No one else will see the labels you put on documents (I'm pretty sure). It's just for you to organize your stuff how you like.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    I'm missing something.... every onshape document made by a hobby plan is public, and fully copyable.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    A copy is not necessarily in sync with the latest developments of a public file. If that's important to you, then it sounds like labels are a good solution. I haven't used them yet. The one reason to use an assembly as bookmark file is that as far as I know, labels are not synced throughout a company. 
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    I think labels are the solution here. They are a per-user thing, so you can add them to any doc you want, even other people's public ones. No one else will see the labels you put on documents (I'm pretty sure). It's just for you to organize your stuff how you like.

Labels might form the embryo of a solution, but last I checked, they only offer a single layer for categorizing documents.  Hierarchical, nested labels would provide vastly more utility.

In my opinion it would also be useful, for non-enterprise users of Onshape, to be able to share that bookmarking structure, both for consistency, and to eliminate duplication of effort.

In the short term, perhaps some clever API developer will offer us per-user and shared-user bookmarking utilities (...perhaps with a robust AI-based search engine, built-in).