Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting Onshape projects as Solidworks Native file types

ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
Our company is looking to trial Onshape for 12 months.
Its an expensive trial and at the end if we decide not to proceed are projects are locked up inside of Onshape.
I understand you can export .step and also "native" solidworks files but is there any documentation on what the results look like or that process is really?
It is not a concern of mine but largely of my colelagues and other stakeholders in the business.
Any info and resources that can be shared/linked appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    I never heard in 25 years of "native" exports from one cad system to another, regardless of the system. Its only neutral formats. No history tree. I'd be shocked if there is a "native" export.
  • Options
    ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    There is an option to export to solidworks file format from onshape. it won't have a tree but will use feature recognition in Solidworks to attempt to rebuild. Just looking for more specifics and information around this.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Both systems use Parasolid as the kernel so this is the preferred format, since no translation is required. No feature tree obviously and unless you make blocks with holes don’t expect FeatureWorks to produce anything but garbage. Drawings would be DWG format.  
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    @ryan_mcgoldrick If you are exporting the CAD files from one software to other it will not carry the feature tree. Just the solid model without feature tree.

SolidWorks export option means that you get the exported file in .SLDPRT file format, and it doesn't mean it will also export the feature tree.

You can export all your project files in any format you like, and then you can trigger "Recognizing Imported Body Features" in SolidWorks. Which automatically creates the SolidWorks features for the model.

If you have any questions let me know.