Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Forum Posts Approval

leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
edited April 2023 in General
Hi, why is there an approval process for replying to forum posts? Does this go after achieving a certain amount of points or something? 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    @S1mon is 100% correct. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    My dayjob account (this one) posts immediately. My personal hobby account, that I think I have 3 or 4 posts on total, seems to take a day to get approved. Both accounts are about 2 years old. So I guess its number of posts? It does seem annoying, but there really is no spam here, so that's nice.
  • Options
    leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Thanks for the clarification guys. It was just a little frustrating to give feedback on a post I made after you commented Simon and more suggestions were coming in but I understand the reasons behind it. 👍
  • Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    A suggestion (not sure whether the underlaying forum software would support that): Please consider to show the to-be-approved posting to the person who wrote it already - like a normal posting, just invisible to the others and with a "to be approved" message (so the poster knows that this is still in the approval pipeline and not shadowbanned ;) ). That way we can still edit these postings while waiting for approval.
    Currently one sees the last text one wrote in the comment section below, where we can also edit it. But I guess every click on "post comment" just creates a new posting and according to my experience the moderators usually just take the first posting of a sequence that looks like double/triple/etc. posts. So all further edits get lost. And I guess the double postings are tedious for the mods to wade through...

And perhaps the number of posts until one doesn't need approval could be reduced? It can take days until a posting is released, so this forum is currenly not really helpful for immediate questions until you are unlocked.
  • Options
    T3rm1T3rm1 Member Posts: 7
    I agree. It's not very new user friendly right now. It's also weird that a comment is saved as a draft and appears again in the comment box of the same topic it was already posted to.
  • Options
    outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Glad that @leecasey brought this up - agreeing with him, @ferdinand_strixner @T3rm1 (all the new comers like me). 

My adding to the thread: it would be nice to know the algorithm. Now I don't think it's mentioned anywhere, and frankly I took the draft remaining after post as a (permanent) bug of the forum software, not a feature affecting newbies.