Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linear Mass Custom Property via FeatureScript

graeme_andersongraeme_anderson Member Posts: 9 PRO
I have successfully created a few lines of FeatureScript to take the volume of a 100mm long extrusion and output the volume per metre (including changing the units) using evVolume.

I want to do the same thing with mass per metre, but it appears evApproximateMassProperties requires a hard-called density, even though the part has a material assigned. I suspect this is why my FeatureScript compiles correctly, but the Custom Property it is linked to returns "computation failed."

FeatureScript code:

annotation { "Property Function Name" : "computeLinearMass" }
export const computeMass = defineComputedPartProperty(function(context is Context, part is Query, definition is map) returns string
    {
        var linearMass = evApproximateMassProperties(context, { "entities" : part, "density" : 1 * kilogram / meter ^ 3 });
        linearMass = toString(roundToPrecision((linearMass / 100), 3)) ~ "g/m"; //convert part mass in kg to gram per linear metre, extrusion only, part must be modelled 100mm long
        return linearMass;
});
Have anyone found a way around this limitation?

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    edited May 2023
    You can debug custom properties by making a part studio with parts in the same workspace -- and then a custom table will appear with rows for the parts and a column for the property.  At that point, you'll see errors with stack traces, and you can monitor/profile as with other custom tables.

Trying it shows that there was a units error, as well as evApproximateMassProperties returning several things besides mass.  A working version is:
    export const computeMass = defineComputedPartProperty(function(context is Context, part is Query, definition is map) returns string
        {
            var linearMass = evApproximateMassProperties(context, { "entities" : part, "density" : 1 * kilogram / meter ^ 3 }).mass;
            linearMass = toString(roundToPrecision((linearMass / (100 * millimeter)) / (gram / millimeter), 3)) ~ "g/m"; //convert part mass in kg to gram per linear metre, extrusion only, part must be modelled 100mm long
            return linearMass;
    });

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Thanks for taking the time to reply @ilya_baran, much appreciated.

If I wanted to keep the kg part of the units, is it as easy as changing the "gram" to "kg"?

Edit: Looking at the output, I'm not sure the conversion from kg to gram is working properly. I have a 100mm long part that is 0.138kg. The output of the code is returning 0.001 g/m when it should be 1380 g/m.

• Options
    Yeah, except in FeatureScript you have to use kilogram, not kg.  Also I just saw that  in my example, I'm providing gram/millimeter instead of gram/meter -- that should be corrected.
  • Options
    Further to my edit above, how "approximate" is evApproximateMassProperties?

• Options
    If the shape you're extruding is lines and arcs, it should be close to within floating point precision.  If you have splines, it should still be very close -- you can try measuring manually and see the bounds, it's a similar precision.  It's more approximate for more complex shapes and if you try to build using the value.  For your use case, I think it's the right thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I've updated the code following your advice, but the output still doesn't match the manual check.

{
            var linearMass = evApproximateMassProperties(context, { "entities" : part, "density" : 1 * kilogram / meter ^ 3 }).mass;
            linearMass = toString(roundToPrecision((linearMass / (100 * millimeter)) / (gram / meter), 4)) ~ " g/m"; //convert part mass in kg to gram per linear metre, extrusion only, part must be modelled 100mm long from the Front Plane
            return linearMass;
    });

Output should be 1380 g/m not 0.9 g/m. I think there is a problem converting from kilogram to gram or from meter to millimeter and I'm not sure which.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Ah, you're passing in 1kg/m^3 for the density.  Try:
    var material = getProperty(context, { "entity" : part, "propertyType" : PropertyType.MATERIAL });
    var linearMass = evApproximateMassProperties(context, { "entities" : part, "density" : material.density }).mass;

• Options
    Problem solved! Thanks again @ilya_baran, much appreciated.