Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawings and the journey of understanding what drive the inputs (a question)

Jose_MontalvoJose_Montalvo Member Posts: 12 EDU
edited May 2023 in Community Support
The point of concern:
Sheet numbers
Sheet x of y.

So in my document, I have a multi-sheet drawings that are linked to the parent assembly. I also have individual drawings of individual parts scattered in folders, my attempt of organized chaos. I wanna know how I should go about making and exporting drawings of multiple parts but having the "sheet x of y" information already updated. I say export as opposed to print to get the higher resolution from JPEG to then get slapped onto other reports.

Why does export only work on the current sheet of a multi-sheet drawing? One thing that would fix my issue would be to be able to export multiple sheets from within the same drawing tab but I don't think I can do that. If I go the "export multiple drawings" route, I would need to have multiple drawings in different tabs but I don't know how to get the "sheet x of y" data to input itself and know that it is part of a larger "stack".

I really feel like I am not using drawings as well as I can be. I wanna know how to really leverage the small details that seem to take a lot of time when I don't think about them from the beginning of the document building. 

here is the doc link if you wanna see. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/267b8aece9a2251ecaa9d496/w/e33f5a5020c0ccaccef3bc86/e/226b8b6fd1c82181fe2923df

Answers

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Can you expain a bit more about why you want/need to export? What are your goals for this project. I don't use drawings anymore but if you want to reall leverage OnShape that would be where to start.
    With the number of drawings I saw it's pretty clear to me somewhere there is going to be someone asking for some more explanation or adjusting some dimension, tolerance, etc. and then keeping track of your latest versions is going to become quite a headache. I'd also start making using of versioning anything you are just ordering should just be a version, anything that you are just reworking should probably just be a derived part.
  • Options
    Jose_MontalvoJose_Montalvo Member Posts: 12 EDU
    For this specific project, the only reason I would rather export than print a PDF is to be able to attach a cleaner image onto a word document for reports. It seems like the image quality is better when things are brought in as a JPEG or PNG. This also may not be something that happens in the real world too much but with how expensive things are I could see how a company would want to run closer to a paper free documentation process and move away from the large plotters until absolutely necessary, but this is just a what-if thinking about a maybe.

I also need some more time to sit down and understand how to do the versioning part of building an assembly.